General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

D.H. gives reissue of Solti/LSO M2 a 9/7 rating

(1/1)

barry guerrero:

GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"

Helen Watts (alto); Heather Harper (soprano)

London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Georg Solti

Decca- 475 8501(CD)
Reference Recording - Bernstein (Sony or DG); Gielen (Hänssler); Fischer (Channel Classics)

Georg Solti's first recording of the "Resurrection" Symphony, dating from 1966, belongs with his LSO accounts of the First and Ninth as among the great Mahler performances of the "first wave" of stereo versions. Along with the Decca Ring, these releases established Solti as a major conductor, and they roundly outclass his steely-toned Chicago remakes (with the exception of the Third Symphony, which is dreadful in both cases). Solti attacks the opening movement with incredible vehemence and has the (closely miked) LSO cellos and basses playing like the very personification of evil intent. If you haven't heard this performance for a while, this movement alone eloquently demonstrates just how exciting Solti was in his day, and how few performances have equaled him since.

The two inner movements are taken swiftly, but also graciously in the Andante, and with plenty of color and character in the scherzo. Helen Watts is excellent in "Urlicht", and Solti whips up the early orchestral episodes of the finale to a fine frenzy. The LSO Chorus (under John Alldis) sings beautifully throughout the movement's second half. And if you thrill to the sound of Mahler's bells and tam-tams in the closing pages, this performance seldom has been equaled for sheer tintinnabulatory splendor (and it serves as a useful corrective to the many, many versions that wimp out in this respect).

The sonics always were oddly interventionist, especially in the finale. For example, the eruption of the "dead march" features very noticeable changes of perspective, the deep bass has a "woody" quality as though cut off at the lowest frequencies, the final chorus could use more organ, and the very last chord features a crescendo quite evidently managed as much at the mixing console as from the podium. Never mind: this is still an extremely enjoyable, "take no prisoners" interpretation, which is exactly as it should be. Now on a single disc timing out at slightly more than 80 minutes, it becomes a prime recommendation, especially at the modest price. I'm delighted to welcome it back.

--David Hurwitz

sperlsco:
This is one of the few "favorites" of mine that I still do not own -- I only have an MP3 download of it.  Now that it is readily available, I'll have to place an order for it. 

John Kim:
I'd agree with DH. This still is a fantastic recording of the Resurrection Symphony. I'd give 9/9; I think the sonics are better than what he thought but can't hear the organ at the end at all (but DH seems to hear it).

John,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version