Author Topic: Revisiting Karajan's DG M6 in the remastered version  (Read 1788 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Revisiting Karajan's DG M6 in the remastered version
« on: May 10, 2023, 08:32:46 PM »
I'm finally getting around to listening to the remastered version of Karajan's M6, and am enjoying it a bit more now. I still have two observations about it. First, I believe this is one of the rare instances where the entire performance works better when played back in Andante/Scherzo order. At over 17 minutes, Karajan takes the slow movement as almost a true Adagio. Second, Karajan still has the best final 10 minutes of the finale of anyone! I'm starting from where the last allegro paced, 'charge' section begins (after the final cowbell episode). At the start of the 'charge', you hear those running 16th note runs in the upper strings better here, than in any other recording. He also handles the 'false victory parade' passage better than anyone, as well the remaining 'dissolution' of the finale. Seriously, he's just better here than anyone else.

It's interesting to note that one of DG's other major M6 recordings, Abbado/B.P.O., also works better with its inner movements switched. In this instance, from Andante/Scherzo to Scherzo/Andante.

I wish DG would put together a separate, remastered Karajan Mahler box (with everything), as well as boxing up all of Abbado's final Lucerne Festival Mahler performances.

Offline John Kim

Re: Revisiting Karajan's DG M6 in the remastered version
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 04:37:02 PM »
Remastered Karajan M6th?

Are you referring to OIBP (original image bit processing) CD?

John

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Revisiting Karajan's DG M6 in the remastered version
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 07:03:19 AM »
Yes, I think that's the process. It's part of the DG Originals series. I had only heard the LP's previously, and then the original CD of it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 05:47:26 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk