General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Netopil/Essen M3 (Oehms) - now out on Spotify

(1/9) > >>

barryguerrero:
I like the cover too, not that that matters. Samples available now at Presto Music.                                                                                   

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9490835--mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor

erikwilson7:
I love how those times look too.

The samples sound good. This caused me to go back and listen to some of their previous recordings, 2, 6, and 9. They're all just fine. In comparing this developing cycle to Oehms' other with Stenz, there are aspects of both I like. For example, I think Netopil has the better 2 and 9, but Stenz the better 6. The sound quality is pretty similar in each cycle for the most part, so it will be fun to compare them both or even mix and match when all is said and done.

There's something about a normal, middle-of-the-road Mahler recording that really does it for me sometimes. I don't really know why.

barryguerrero:
Not only that (Oehms), but the Simone Young M2 and M6 are quite good as well. Young's M6 is noteworthy, in that she uses the first version of the score from the lead-in to the third hammer stroke, to the start of the funereal dirge for low brass (trombones, low horns and tuba). Obviously I'm talking about towards the end of the finale.

Yes, I think much of Stenz's cycle is better than many folks think. The M3 is terrific in its own way. I like his "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" very much.

I agree about the samples sounding really good on Netopil's M3. The bells at the start of the "bim, bam" choral movement sound terrific. I like the pacing throughout. We'll see how it turns out.

John Kim:
I quite like Netopil's M6th. By all accounts it's pretty excellent performance. The only letdown is the orchestra. With VPO or BPO, it would have made near the top of my favorite M6ths.

John

barryguerrero:
Well, I listened to most of Netopil's M3 tonight on Spotify. There's some very pretty playing, and the tempos are all pretty much up to speed. I just find it  lacks muscle where some muscle is needed. It's not bad, mind you. I think the Scherzo may be the best movement on here. I love the bells at the start of the "bim-bam" choral movement, and the children are quite strong. However, the centrally placed orchestral passage goes for almost nothing. The percussion are almost non-existent there (why!?!). The brass chorale near the end of the finale isn't bad, but it doesn't have a whole of amplitude either. I need to give this a more serious listening when I can crank up the volume. That may greatly change the perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version