Author Topic: Hrůša/CSO M9  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

Hrůša/CSO M9
« on: June 24, 2023, 09:23:54 PM »
A couple weeks ago I heard M9 live with the CSO and Jakub Hrůša. Overall I found it a fine performance, though execution had some rough moments in I. The Rondo burleske was razor sharp; I suspect that rehearsal time was concentrated on that movement.

I do have to bust Hrůša for flunking one of my acid tests. In II, the dance becomes increasingly frenetic until it slams into a bar line marked “Tempo I. subito,” but like many conductors, perhaps a majority,  Hrůša makes a gradual transition, thereby spoiling the joke. Until Tempo I. returns, the horns are playing their four ascending pickup notes at a comically fast tempo, and these notes should be played fast until the bar line. Having them ease back into the slower tempo is just wrong.

Before and after the concert, I’ve been surveying M9 recordings. A few observations:

Netopil/Essen: A solid interpretation compromised by murky sound from the lower midrange on down, and by weak horns.

Fischer/Dűsseldorf: Another solid reading, let down by surprisingly rough playing. It’s troublesome throughout, and I had to grit my teeth to get through the Rondo burleske.

Boulez/CSO: Yes, Boulez has that “alien from a cold planet” reputation, but this interpretation in particular seems consistently undercharacterized. In II, Tempo II is barely quicker than Tempo I. I find it hard to understand how anyone could turn in such a ho-hum performance of IV, some of the most passionately beautiful music ever written. (However, Boulez’s own “Rituel,” a filler one one of the Gielen issues, is an interesting piece that I find rewarding; Gielen is OK but the composer’s own recording with the BBC Symphony is outstanding.)

Gilbert/NY Phil: An outstanding performance, just consistently excellent. The SQ on this and other live Gilbert/NY recordings is sharp and clear, and orchestral execution is first class. Gilbert even passes the acid test in II. I’ve enjoyed Gilbert’s Royal Stockholm Philharmonic recording on BIS previously, but haven’t yet listened to it in my current M9 obsession.

This is a small sample of M9s I’ve recently surveyed. I’m taking a break because I reached a saturation point. I tend to reserve my previous favorites for last, but I did sneak in Ozawa (very fine, benefits from a boost in treble). Dohnanyi/Cleveland has also been at the top level, in the opinion of yours truly.

Online barryguerrero

Re: Hrůša/CSO M9
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 07:06:05 AM »
Good stuff, Roland. I agree with your assessment as to how that transition back to Tempo 1 should be handled in M9/II. And of those M9 recording you listed, I would probably like the Alan Gilbert one best as well. I think his recording of M9 on BIS from Stockholm is really very good. And I also like the Cleveland/Dohnanyi one too. Nobody ever mentions that one. If it weren't for the stupid sounding, metallic 'ping' hammer-strokes, I would rank his M6 among the very top. The playing is just that good.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 03:05:06 AM »
I'll mention a couple other notable recordings; please keep in mind that these are still a small subset and I don't mean to denigrate other worthy performances by exclusion.

Vänskä: I was really favorably impressed by this. He never puts a foot wrong, and BIS's SQ is excellent. I'll be spending more time exploring this cycle, though I wasn't thrilled with M5. M6 is way, way better than a live performance I heard in Minneapolis about a decade ago.

Blomstedt/Bamberg: Although he flunks the "Tempo I subito" test in II, overall this is a wonderful performance in excellent sound. Blomstedt just keeps going, bless him. I heard him here in Chicago this past season (Dvořák Cello Concerto and 8th Symphony. He's 95 and conducts from a chair now. For those of us who love the Schubert "Great" C Major, his recent Leipzig recording is a knockout.

And a word about Alan Gilbert: The NY Phil has released a large number of his recordings in a wide range of repertory. Of the numerous ones I've listened to, all are first class in conducting, orchestral execution, and SQ.

Online barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 04:37:33 PM »
I'm a big fan of Alan Gilbert's N.Y. Mahler 3, which was among the first things he did when became M.D. It 'has the beef' of the Bernstein/N.Y.P.O./DG recording, but with more streamlined timings (up-to-speed tempos). It just sounds better too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk