General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

DH gives 7/8 for Zinman's new recording of M2nd

(1/1)

John Kim:
GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"

Anna Larsson (mezzo-soprano); Juliane Banse (soprano)

Schweizer Kammerchor
Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich

David Zinman

RCA- 82876 87157 2(SACD)
Reference Recording - Bernstein (Sony or DG); Gielen (Hänssler); Fischer (Channel Classics)

Had this disc been released a couple of decades ago, it might have been hailed as a nice addition to the Mahler discography, but today it has little to recommend it beyond its (admittedly high) standard of professionalism. The first movement has gravitas, to be sure, but it also exhibits a certain sogginess of rhythm and lack of intensity at the climax of the development section that prevents the necessary fury from breaking though the funereal gloom. Zinman's Andante, though, has a sweet simplicity that's just about perfect--and infinitely superior to Norrington's recent revolting "authentic" treatment. The scherzo also goes well, with the solo clarinet effectively capturing Mahler's parodistic writing. Yet here too, the "cry of despair" comes off as more of a mild exclamation.

Meanwhile, in the vocal department, something dreadful has happened to Anna Larsson. Her "Urlicht" has all manner of affectation in terms of phrasing and dynamics, allied to a tone that's just plain ugly. This is without doubt one of the most unpleasant performances of this movement yet recorded. The finale erupts decently enough, but like the first movement it doesn't manage to avoid a feeling of heaviness. Zinman fails to let the brass really peal, or the percussion crash and bash as Mahler intends. The very name "Swiss Chamber Choir" says something about the performance's lack of "bigness", and whether as a result of microphone placement or a simple lack of personnel, the two soloists practically out-shout the whole chorus at the end, a defect particularly noticeable in surround-sound.

If this review reads more like a litany of complaints, it has to be stressed that this is a serous, musicianly effort by all concerned. Both conductors and orchestras today are generally too well-versed in an idiomatic Mahlerian style to make a total mess of things. But competition in this music is extremely fierce. If it's precision and superb playing that you want, there's Levi/Atlanta on Telarc, and for emotional extravagance there's Bernstein first and foremost among many others. Somewhere in the middle, we have outstanding performances from Klemperer, Gielen, and the recent Fischer on Channel Classics, which also offers an unparalleled sonic experience. Unfortunately, in this company Zinman simply isn't competitive.

--David Hurwitz

I agree. I wasn't impressed by this recording. I thought the conducting was so and so and the sonics were just OK.

John,

Leo K:
Thats a fair review...I feel the performance is competitive with Fischer though, and Norrington's account is very similar to Zinman and Fischer but with more edge.  I take these three M2's as a group more and less. When I want an "objective" account I reach for one of these.  My other favorite M2's are Scherchen, Mehta (from NY Broadcast box), Chailly and Rattle.

--Leo 

barry guerrero:
I think that the Zinman/Zurich partnership will be better suited for M3 and M4. That said, the Zinman M2 is far from being anywhere near the bottom of the heap. For one thing, it has terrific deep bells at the end of the symphony - far, FAR better than usual. It also has a decent organ, which a number of them do not - Boulez/VPO being perhaps the worst one in this regard. I also disagree about Anna Larsson; I think she sounds just fine - far better than how Michelle De Young has been sounding lately. While I still rate the Fischer/Budapest F.S.O. M2 above this one, I'll keep the Zinman for his fine sounding bells, if nothing else. I've heard worse, and so have all of you.

Barry

barry guerrero:
.   .   and by the way, I really part company with David - one of my best friends - over the Gielen M2. I listened to again the other day, I think it's far more understated and underwhelming than this one is.

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: barry guerrero on July 18, 2007, 07:45:25 AM ---.   .   and by the way, I really part company with David - one of my best friends - over the Gielen M2. I listened to again the other day, I think it's far more understated and underwhelming than this one is.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I am a rather big fan of Gielen's Mahler cycle, but do not think his M2 is anything special (M2 and M9 are the low points for me in this cycle).  It is well played and has its moments, but ultimately is a middling and unexciting performance.  I feel the same exact way about the Levi M2.  I would choose the Zinman above either of those in a heartbeat. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version