General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

The Maazel (Mahler) stocks

(1/2) > >>

michaelw:
Hallo,

Two weeks ago they offered the Maazel box set for 27 Euro at amazon.de. I am not really a fan of Maazel, but I admit that I was tempted in view of this offer.
After some checking (and finding bad to very bad critics) I saved the money. Now it's at 31.89 (jpc 34.99). What do you recommend? If it drops below 28 Euro again: to buy or not to buy? Are there at least three or four really good recordings in the set?

I am sure that some of you have a clear and helpful opinion.

Thanks

Michael

Leo K:
Michael, I just bought this not too long ago, but have not gone through the whole box.  That said, I really do like his M3, M4, M6 and M8.

If you like slow, detailed, philosophical performances (except his M6, which is faster) than you will like Maazel.  I like him for these very reasons.  His M8 is my top M8, but I stand alone here!  His M3 is in my top 5 for M3's.

Most people will advise you not to get this, but I feel Maazel is a unique Mahler interpeter. Not for someone new in Mahler, but a good choice if you want to head off the beaten path.

--Leo

Jot N. Tittle:
Hallo, Michael--

You might try haunting eBay for this box set. It shows up fairly regularly and is listed presently, with bidding at $20.50 and two days to go.

There is an earlier issue of the set preferred by some, which includes a booklet. It was part of the VPO's 150th anniversary celebration and also appears on eBay from time to time--but usually commands a higher price.

/ & '

Leo K:

--- Quote from: Jot N. Tittle on July 17, 2007, 10:29:06 PM ---Hallo, Michael--

You might try haunting eBay for this box set. It shows up fairly regularly and is listed presently, with bidding at $20.50 and two days to go.

There is an earlier issue of the set preferred by some, which includes a booklet. It was part of the VPO's 150th anniversary celebration and also appears on eBay from time to time--but usually commands a higher price.

/ & '

--- End quote ---

This earlier issue is the one I have, and the booklet is simply awesome.

--Leo

John Kim:
In this set I like M1, M4, and to a lesser degree, M6. The M7 and M9 are terrible; the M9th might be the worst I've ever heard - no structure, bad tempo shifts and others. I have not heard the M8th though. Maazel's later cycle with BRSO is MUCH better.

John,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version