Author Topic: Y. Sado/Tonkunstler M7 coming on two CD's (on the longer side)  (Read 1750 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Y. Sado/Tonkunstler M7 coming on two CD's (on the longer side)
« on: February 05, 2024, 07:13:21 PM »
Yutaka Sado's coming Mahler 7th will have to be spread over two discs. It was also recorded in the Musikverein. Here are the timings:

[01] Slow – Allegro risoluto, ma non troppo 21’57
[02] Night Music. Allegro moderato 16’29
[03] Scherzo. Shadowy 11’02

CD 2
[04] Night Music. Andante amoroso 14’02
[05] Rondo-Finale. Allegro ordinario 18’13

These are turning out to be, by far, the best sounding Mahler performances to emanate from Vienna's Musikverein. It may not be the Vienna Phil., but we'll have a complete Mahler cycle from the Musikverein. I'm hoping than when they finally get to the 8th symphony, they move over to the Konzerthaus and get a good sized children's chorus involved.

Anyway, you can hear some brief samples at JPC Germany: https://www.tonkuenstler.at/en/tickets/events/mahler-7
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:51:13 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Y. Sado/Tonkunstler M7 coming on two CD's (on the longer side)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 07:29:48 PM »
This is great news, thanks!

It's interesting to see the scherzo taken at a pace like 11:02, although the score really does say not to rush (very strictly, for that matter). It's quite a difference from, say, Vänskä's 8:41. Does anyone think it's usually taken too quickly?

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 06:43:15 AM »
Haitink started getting slower and slower with the middle movement. I think his BRSO one is nearly 11 minutes as well. I prefer it in the 9 to 10 minute range, but it's not a deal breaker with me. I prefer the fourth movement (second Nocturne) be taken a bit quicker. I think it makes for a better transition from the Scherzo to the Finale.

I'm just glad we'll have an M7 from the Musikverein, with a Viennese orchestra, and in very good sound, and also not as sluggish as the Maazel recording.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:44:56 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 06:13:39 PM »
Barry

Where is the announcement of the CD?

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 10:07:38 AM »
Oh, sorry. JPC Germany. It's also showing on the Tunkunstler's own website. https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/symphonie-nr-7/hnum/11745350

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 12:44:10 AM »
I'm really looking forward to hearing this release. If it weren't for the second tier soprano, I really, really like Sado's M4. I also think he's made as good an argument - musically speaking - as one can make for reinserting "Blumine" into the second movement position in M1. It should be up on Spotify in seven more days (today is Feb. 23).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk