General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Harding/SWRSO Mahler 7th (live)

(1/4) > >>

John Kim:
I'm sure it has been archived for a furure CD release.

https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/mahlers-7a-med-radiosymfonikerna?fbclid=iwar2jjertujmoyejodf-50nb_nhioc0xoxcnglahe1u3uuxseneiifot_oyq

The symphony starts at around 48 min. into it.

John

John Kim:
This Seventh may well be Daniel Harding's BEST outing in Mahler thus far.  76 min. of glorious music making!

John

barryguerrero:
Awesome. Thank you John. Yeah, it seems the 'younger generation' are better attuned to Mahler 7 - none of that nonsense about the 7th being the bastard stepchild of Mahler symphonies. They know that's rubbish.

John Kim:
The sound on the link is fantastic, almost of a CD quality^

Enjoy!

John

barryguerrero:
Not a fan. This sounds breathless and lacking in depth, compared to Harding's performance of M7 with the BRSO just months ago. A measurement of the timings confirmed my suspicions. They look like this: I -19:25; II - 15:40; III - 8:55 (like Abbado); IV - 12:05; V - 16:15. Why so fast when Harding's two existing Mahler recordings on Harmonia Mundi are nowhere so 'breathless'?

I would buy a CD or download of Harding's M7 from Munich, but not this one - unless they do a studio recording with somewhat more broad tempi (except for the second movement, which seemed fine as it was).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version