Author Topic: Rattle/BRSO M6 is extraordinary, and the finale to the Sado M7 is really wild  (Read 951 times)

Offline barryguerrero

As always with Rattle, the Scherzo to his new BRSO recording is fantastic. But really, it's all really good. Good cowbells in the quiet parts too. Rattle leaves out the third hammer-stroke this time. I'm afraid I'll have to own a copy of this.

The Sado/Tonkunstler M7 is a different beast. As typical of Viennese performances of M7, they're not afraid to allow Mahler's more strange sound effects to sound a bit weird. I kind of like that. Even though Sado's Scherzo reaches out to 11 minutes, it doesn't sound slow somehow. The finale is very good. If anything Sado actually stretches the finale's final peroration somewhat too much. Still, see what you think. These are both up on Spotify.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 10:04:41 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

Comparison with Rattle's excellent account with BPO is inevitable. Precision and virtuosity of BPO vs. rich sonority and atmosphere of BRSO. I am actually spoiled by the former but wouldn't be without the latter either.

Barry,

Where is Haitink/BRSO Shosy 8th being streamed? I can't find it.

John

Offline barryguerrero

Amazon is now saying that the Haitink S8 is being released on the 15th.

Let me know what you think of the Sado M7. I thought the second movement (first Nachtmusik) was really good. Much of the finale is very good as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk