Author Topic: Sydney SO/Ashkenazy M3, M5, DLvdE  (Read 422 times)

Offline akiralx

Sydney SO/Ashkenazy M3, M5, DLvdE
« on: March 27, 2024, 11:12:11 AM »

Just picked up these three releases very cheaply and so far I am impressed with the M3. The playing is fine and the recording quality is excellent.

I heard Ashkenazy conduct a few times in Sydney but never in Mahler - I recall a 2012 performance of the Dvorak Cello Concerto when I was sitting in the choir seats, and an elderly man in the stalls suffered a medical emergency was skilfully evacuated by paramedics. VA was of course oblivious to this but his soloist (Jian Wang) saw it unfold a few metres in front of him.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Sydney SO/Ashkenazy M3, M5, DLvdE
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 01:41:32 PM »
I stumbled upon the Ashkenazy/Sydney cycle when I was browsing Spotify last year and I was pleasantly surprised about how much I liked it. I also remember the M3 being good, and I liked the M1 too. He seemed to 'get' the Wunderhorn symphonies well.

I should still listen to the rest, from M5 onwards. Thanks for the reminder and review!

It was recorded and engineered on the orchestra's own label too.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Sydney SO/Ashkenazy M3, M5, DLvdE
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 08:17:07 AM »
Part of that Australian Mahler cycle is a complete M10 in the Barshai performing version. It's interesting to hear a very different take on Barshai's version - I think I like better than Barshai's own. The M8 is really big and bold, but you can tell that the acoustics are not great. My understanding is that they have since improved the acoustics in that hall.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk