Author Topic: I am really liking these Y. Sado/Vienna Tonkunster/Musikverein Mahler recordings  (Read 3490 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I've been going through Sado/Tonkunstler Mahler recordings at Spotify (I know, I know; I shouldn't be using Spotify). I think these are by far the best sounding Mahler recordings to have been captured in Vienna's narrow shoebox, known as the Musikverein.

It's a hall that has very good acoustics when you're there, but seems to be difficult to record. Back 'in the day', Decca used a completely different venue, the Sofiensaal, as a recording studio. That's where the classic Z. Mehta/V.P.O. M2 was made (as well as the overhyped Solti M8 [that I loathe]).

Anyway, I'm amazed how good the playing is in these live recordings. Since there is little if any 'spot miking' being used, sometimes softer detail, such as harp parts, don't come through clearly. Still, it's amazing how good they sound in spite of that fact. When I spent time in Vienna in 1981, the Tonkunstler was little more than a very good community orchestra. Clearly things have changed. The few Fabio Luisi/V.S.O. Mahler recordings that exist don't sound anywhere as good. Those were made in the larger Konzerthaus, I believe.

I listened to the complete M1 last night and thoroughly enjoyed (funny that there isn't a decent V.P.O. M1 recording). I'm looking forward to hearing their M6, and am VERY MUCH looking forward to an eventual M8 and M9. Maybe they'll eventually put them in sort sort of box set - who knows!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk