General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Inbal/5th/FRSO

<< < (6/6)

Leo K:
Hello there Wunderhorn,

I am not sure what you mean.  A music "liberal"?  Is that a negative thing?  I hardly imagine it is ;) 

In terms of using large scale Sonata form in an orchestral context, I feel you can't rule out Shostakovich, who, for good or bad, was influenced by Bach, Beethoven and Mahler in his large scale symphonic composition (whether he was successful is a matter of personal opinion of course).  I don't believe he can be narrowed down to just being "nationalistic" with a bunch of shock effects thrown in. 

I find it is difficult to accept such generalizations (over an artists output) without the critical commentary to support such claims :)

Regarding "shock" effects, if you like Mahler, how can you be judgemental over using such "vulgarities" in large scale symphonic writing?

Todd

Leo K:

--- Quote from: Wunderhorn on January 15, 2007, 11:38:34 PM ---I wasn't trying to narrow down to only that. An it would be narrowing me down to imply I did.  >:(

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, I think I misinterpeted your post.  I was just posing some questions for debate, and it wasn't my intention to insult in any way. :-[

Wunderhorn:
It's OK, sometimes I can be quite naive.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version