General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Inbal/5th/FRSO

<< < (2/6) > >>

Wunderhorn:
Thank you for the recommendations. I've always been a fan of this symphony. I'm thinking of getting the Chailly boxset, but haven't decided yet. Another possibility might be Abaddo/Berlin/Mahler5.

barry guerrero:
Personlly, I feel that the Berlin 5th is one of Abbado's "snoozier" performances. For the Berlin Phil., I still like the Karajan the best. My favorite commerical M5's - the ones that you can walk into a store and buy - are:  Chailly (Decca); Barenboim (Warner); Boulez (DG); Karajan (DG) - not necessarily in that order.

If money and time are no object, my favorite M5 from start to finish is the Markus Stenz one from Austrailia (Melborne) on ABC Classics. Stenz is now the conductor of the Gurzenich Orchestra in Cologne; the one that gave the world premiere of the 5th in 1905. I believe that it was Stenz opening work with them as well. I believe that he did the entire cycle in Melborne, and there's now an expensive "Resurrection" available as well.

By the way, I think that the Inbal one is pretty good, and is certainly more exciting than Abbado/BPO. Frankly, I like Abbado's earlier Chicago one better.

Barry

barry guerrero:
Oh, if you have a DVD player that also plays DVD-A(udio) discs (mine does!), you may want to consider getting the Rattle/BPO M5 on DVD. EMI throws in a DVD-A of the performance, which has far better sound than the regular CD.

Barry

Vatz Relham:

--- Quote from: barry guerrero on January 10, 2007, 07:23:39 PM ---
By the way, I think that the Inbal one is pretty good, and is certainly more exciting than Abbado/BPO. Frankly, I like Abbado's earlier Chicago one better.

Barry

--- End quote ---

I also like Abbado's Chicago M5, excellent brass, love the growling trombones near the end if the 2nd mvmt. 8)

Vatz

barry guerrero:
.   .    .   lots of tam-tam underneath the first movement's funeral cortege as well.

Barry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version