Author Topic: Klemperer/VPO live M9th - Testament or M&A?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline John Kim

Klemperer/VPO live M9th - Testament or M&A?
« on: August 12, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »
As you know, this live M9th concert by Klemperer/VPO has been issued several times on different labels. First, there was an Italian pirate followed by Living Stage. Now, it is available on M&A and most lately, Testament. I have heard the CDs on Living Stage and M&A and prefers the former; they indeed sound significantly different. Has anyone heard the Testament edition? How does it compare with the others?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Klemperer/VPO live M9th - Testament or M&A?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:33:10 AM »
The problem with Testament is that they're just so darn expensive. Anyway, John, I haven't seen a Klemperer M9 on Testament in any stores here. I think that Harmonia Mundi must not have released it here yet.

Barry

Offline akiralx

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:31:50 AM »
The problem with Testament is that they're just so darn expensive. Anyway, John, I haven't seen a Klemperer M9 on Testament in any stores here. I think that Harmonia Mundi must not have released it here yet.

Barry

Isn't it in the Testament OK Vienna PO live concerts box?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:37:47 AM by akiralx »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »
Yes, this is included in the box set that contains several live concerts by Klemperer/VPO. The Living Stage CD has true stereo sound but the M&A version sounds somewhat mono. Japanese fans gave a hearty score - somewhere around 95 - to the Testament recording, so this one may have pretty good sound, perhaps better than the Living Stage.

Anyway, I have always considered this better than Klemperer's studio recording with Philharmonia Orch. for EMI

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:11 AM »
That's right, it's in that Klemperer box on Testament. Boy, is that thing ever expensive. I'll go on record as saying that it's the best Mahler 9th that the VPO has yet to record. Too bad it costs so much.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:11:24 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk