Author Topic: Fraudulent Mahler - a bigger scandal than Hatto?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline akiralx

Fraudulent Mahler - a bigger scandal than Hatto?
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
Just put the new DG M5 by Simon Bolivar Youth O under Gustavo Dudamel into my PC - and Windows Media Player tells me the orchestra is the Chicago SO!

Crafty marketing by DG - fill the papers with stories about the reformed characters of this great youth band, but secretly release the CSO playing under their name.... the only query is, is it actually Haitink conducting? 

Having read reviews, I bet Dudamel did the first four movements, but as part of the deal to allow them to use his orchestra (which he only agreed to because the youngster's first name is a bit like Mahler's), and to show the lad how it's done, Bernie insisted on being allowed to conduct the Finale, which is apparently not as exciting.

It all makes perfect sense!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:43:25 PM by akiralx »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Fraudulent Mahler - a bigger scandal than Hatto?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »
I always found it interesting that a misidentified CD from FreeDB or Gracenote is what set the wheels in motion for exposing the Hatto fraud (if I understand the story that is).  I have had plenty of experiences with those databases misidentifying recordings and always consider it to be a flaw in the database system.   
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Fraudulent Mahler - a bigger scandal than Hatto?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:19:22 AM »
I love a good conspiracy story   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk