Author Topic: Gergiev's Mahler  (Read 3604 times)

pincopallino

Gergiev's Mahler
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
Apologies for cross-posting on Y!Mahler, but this looks interesting (from the LSO newsletter)

LSO Principal Conductor Valery Gergiev opens the new season at the Barbican on Monday 24 September with Mahler's Third Symphony, the beginning of his year-long cycle of all nine (plus the Adagio from the unfinished Tenth) symphonies.

Offline je-b

Re: Gergiev's Mahler
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:24:23 PM »
I think a Gergiev M6 might be of some interest. Deafening hammerblows and climaxes, I bet. ;)
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 05:05:09 AM »
If Gergiev can resist his tendency to be, at times, wildly erratic, this could be a Mahler cycle of some interest. Certainly the LSO knows these pieces really well. Maybe too well.

Barry

Offline Damfino

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:48:28 PM »
If Gergiev can resist his tendency to be, at times, wildly erratic...

The only recordings of Gergiev's I have are Tchaikovsky's symphonies 4,5 and 6.  I bought the set after hearing his Tchaikovsky 5th on XM one day.  I liked the excitement, and sometimes fast tempos of his 5th (a work that is too often done sort of sluggishly, IMO).  However, I must confess to being somewhat put off by his "wildly erratic" tempos, and would be surprised if his Mahler is any different.  I'd still like to give it a listen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk