Author Topic: M10 Adagio -- for strings  (Read 3711 times)

Offline cilea

M10 Adagio -- for strings
« on: August 31, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
ECM is shortly releasing the Adagio from Mahler's Tenth Symphony adapted for strings by Hans Stadlmair and played by Kremerata Baltica with Gidon Kremer. The piece is coupled with Shostakovich's  Fourteenth Symphony.

It is stated in the background information that the string orchestra version of the Adagio originates from the '70s. Has anyone come across with it before?

http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/New_Series/2000/2024.php?cat=%2FLabels%2FECM+New+Series&we_start=0&lvredir=712
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 10:07:27 AM by cilea »

Ivor

Re: M10 Adagio -- for strings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »
   That's a new one on me.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 05:26:30 AM »
I have not come across this version before. However, for me, it's truly a "why bother?" issue, as this particular movement is already very string oriented. It doesn't require an unusually large wind section, and very little percussion. So, what's the point of not bringing in winds and brass?

Not to be negative, but I'll probably give this release the slip. I'm not a fan of the Shostakovich 14th symphony. As I recall, that piece certainly has some percussion - at least a big zylophone part in one movement.

Barry

Ivor

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:53:50 AM »
   The only reason that springs to my mind is, so that string orchestras can play it.

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk