General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Haitink/RCO Live M4 - excellent sleigh bells! (good recording & performance too)

(1/3) > >>

barry guerrero:
I picked up the new Haitink M4 on RCO Live. I'm more enthusiastic about this than my friend Dave Hurwitz was. Yes, it's true that Haitink is a bit stodgy during the development section of the first movement - leading up to its big climax. However, not only are the Concertgebouw's reallly cool sounding sleigh bells captured very realistically earlier on (and vividly too, as are the triangle and glockenspiel), but you can clearly hear all twenty-something tam-tam strokes leading to the fortissimo smash at the climax. The scherzo is nice and lively (less than 9 minutes), with the Concertgebouw's excellent woodwinds sounding fully warmed up, while the slow movement doesnt' drag either (less than 21 minutes). As to be expected, the tuning of the Concertgebouw's timpani at the slow movement's climax is right on the money (small point? Believe me, that's not always the case). The one quick passage in the slow movement - just a minute or so before the big climax -  is handled quite expertly as well. In the finale, Christine Schaefer's voice does seem different than I remember it sounding in previous years - it sounds a tad heavier and more operatic now. However, I certainly wouldn't describe her as sounding matronly; far from it. The last sudden orchestral outburst towards the end of the vocal movement is timed perfectly, and is really executed together - those cool sounding sleigh bells making their final effective appearance. To me, this is a real keeper! Now it's time for me to get up on my soap box:

Sorry to go against the grain, but I think that these RCO Live recordings sound far, FAR better than either the LSO Live or CSO Live series. Sorry again, but I just do not feel that James Mallinson makes great sounding recordings - far from it, infact. I reckon that a lot of that has to do with acoustics, which are far superior in Amsterdam than in London or Chicago. Anyway, I just received a copy of the CSO Live Bruckner 7th with Haitink - what a disappointment! If anything, it sounds even more stodgy and humorless than his Mahler 3. If you want the CSO on Bruckner 7, stick with Barenoboim. Thank goodness Haitink took his B-vitamin shot before tackling his latest M4.

Barry

Leo K:
Awesome to hear about the sleigh bells and tam tam!

NOw I'm adding this to my to-get-soon list!

Boulez M8
Macal M7
Zinman M3
Haitink M4

(I just bought the Abbado M6 DVD...will watch soon)

--Leo

John Kim:
Barry,

It looks like a very good M4th. Now, what about Haitink teaming up again with RCO for a recording of M9th, ah? Why hasn't he recorded another M9th yet? Is he thinking he cannot possibly surpass his 1969 analogue recording?

John,

sperlsco:
I ended up downloading this one from eMusic and can't decide if I really need to purchase the SACD.  I agree with your assessments.  Some of the first movement lacks flexibility to my ears (I am guessing that is what you are calling stodgy), which is the same problem that Haitink has in his Chicago M3.  But as you mention, there are too many other things to like about this performance.  The tam-tams are exceptional.  The section in the adagio where the tempos continuously increase is done as well as any performance that I've heard.  This is one of the key sections of the entire symphony to me, where the heavenly music finally wins out over the earthly music.  It is the ability in this section to convey the fun and joy of heaven that makes the actual arrival in heaven convincing and meaningful.  And the arrival itself is quite overwhelming in this performance.  I also agree about Schaefer's voice.  It is not the perfect voice for the M4 finale, but she sings well and certainly does not sound matronly. 

Ben:
So how does this new M4 compare with the Chailly/RCOA M4?  I like the Chailly recording quite a bit, so is it worth picking up this new Haitink?

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version