Author Topic: M7, Macal, Czech PO - First Impressions  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: M7, Macal, Czech PO - First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 05:48:30 PM »
I really feel the new Macal M7 is really special...it's like Scherchen's M7 (from Toronto) without the irony.  The textures are sparse, especially in the central movements, and very "modern" without the wieght of the 20th century on the performance...very "wunderhorn" and "Das Lied" sounding at the same time.  The more I listen the more I am enchanted with this performance.  Macal is really on to something here...he has insight into this work that is unique to my ear.  And the CPO are again at their best...wow, what a Mahler orchestra!!!

I recieved the new Tennstedt M7 from BBC Legends for Christmas.  Thoughts soon.

--Leo
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:50:02 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 05:02:43 PM »
What happened to the very first note of the horn in Macal/CPO/Exton M7:I? The horn enters a fraction of a second late here and it is rather annoying. Why didn't they correct this mistake is beyond me...

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
Yes, the first first note of the horn arrives a fraction late, rather reminds me of the horn's botched first note in Horenstein's live M7.  I hope folks will still check out this recording though, it is still a great performance.

Perhaps Macal didn't feel any correction was necessary?  To be honest I didn't notice until John pointed this out!

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 05:38:18 AM »
This is a really fine M7th. I've never heard a recording of the seventh that has such a wide range of tempo variations and yet sounding so convincing. I think Macal's essentially chamber music approach helped in this regard a great deal; had he adopted more aggressive conducting it would have not achieved the level consistency and transparency well demonstrated in this recording. In many ways this is the polar opposite of Kobayashi's spectacularly kaleidoscopic recording with the same orchestra. Sometimes, Macal's soft-grained approach fails to convey the menacing elements of the music, e.g., in the Scherzo that doesn't sound spooky enough. Overall, I still prefer the Kobayashi, but I admire Macal's ability to hang all things together in the music making that is amply abundant with variations in the tempo and mood.

Nice job. I enthusiastically wait for the next installment in Macal's ongoing Mahler series, the M9th.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 05:50:35 AM »
If anyone would like to burn me a copy, I'd appreciate it. If so, leave me a private message. And if so, thanks in advance.

Barry
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:22:50 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk