Author Topic: 100 members (?)  (Read 5638 times)

Offline stillivor

100 members (?)
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »
  Something to celebrate.

btw, it's not 101 cos I'm in twice.   ???

Ivor

PS Happy New Year

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: 100 members (?)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:07:17 AM »

btw, it's not 101 cos I'm in twice.   ???

Ivor

PS Happy New Year

Oh great, now we have a major controversy on our hands.  Do we award the grand prize for being the 100th Member to No. 101 (Mr. Bob) or to No. 100 (I'll need to see who that is)? 

I believe that the grand prize is a copy of the famous M5 by Maazel and the VPO.   ;D
Scott

Offline stillivor

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:14:07 PM »
I couldn't get back on as Ivor cos I changed email address and forgot password, and the site could only send the password to the redundant emAIL address.

Ivor

Offline mister bob

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:20:11 PM »
This is simply too good to be true...  I never win anything, despite a blameless life of being kind to small children and animals, and really not very many illegal copies of Mahler symphonies. Simply to be a part of this august body is reward enough, but if there are any freebies to be had, you can count me in.

By the way, thanks to all those members who were waxing lyrical about VW's 9th, it really is a fine, powerful, and intruiging work.  I bought the Naxos copy which also contains a good version of the 5th.

Forthcoming highlights for 2008; January 25th - Bruckner 5th with the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande conducted by Janowski.  May 10th - Berg, Seven Early Songs, and Mahler 6, BBC Phil. conducted by Gianandrea Noseda.  Both concerts at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester.  Really looking forward to both of them

A happy new year to all!:D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 05:25:38 AM »
Pentatone is releasing a new Bruckner 9th with Janowski/Suisse Romande. I wonder how it'll turn out? The timings look perfectly normal.

I'm looking forward to hearing Noseda's new recordings of the Mahler/Cooke 10th. I like the BBC Phil. very much - more than any of the five full-time orchestras in London (except for maybe the BBC London).

Barry

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 05:37:36 AM »
By the way, thanks to all those members who were waxing lyrical about VW's 9th, it really is a fine, powerful, and intruiging work.  I bought the Naxos copy which also contains a good version of the 5th.

A happy new year to all!:D

I'm glad you liked it! The Naxos one is one of the best, in my view.  You picked a good one.

Offline mister bob

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Thanks Barry, I will definitely be buying that one; have you heard the Janowski Ring cycle?  I think he's a great conductor.  I was interested in your comments cf non-London orchestras.  In recent months I have been to both Halle and BBC Phil. concerts at the Bridgewater Hall, and have had some wonderful evenings.  The regional orchestras and and companies in the UK have to fight a little harder for their audience I think, and have a core group of regular concert goers who are both loyal and knowledgeable.  Welsh National Opera, Opera North, the Scottish National Orchestra [think of their Sibelius with Vanska!], plus the Ulster and Bournmouth Orchestras who make excellent Naxos recordings, plus the CBSO, all testify to a very healthy music scene in the UK whch does not depend on what happens in London.  The regional festivals also play their part; I have been attending the Huddersfield Contemporary Festival for years, and it is always vibrant and challenging.  The music scene in our capital city is beyond compare, and when I look at the culture pages in the broadsheets I am sometimes green with envy.  But you can't go to everything, and certainly from the performers' perspective, you're playing to a full house nearly every night, given the zillions of tourists who also attend concerts and operas whilst on vacation.  And we all know what familiarity breeds...

I was lucky to be at the BBC SO with Noseda at their M10 concert in 2007 - it was excellent, and I look forward to that CD as well.  I am yet to be won over to the idea of a 'completed' M10, but the sheer beauty of some passages makes me understand why some composers want to finish the job.  It should make us celebrate the completed works even more, and recognise the colossal effort and hard graft of the man in addition to the genius and the inspiration. 

Offline stillivor

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:42:06 PM »
Altho' this is a bit of thread drift, Deryck Cooke used to explain till he was blue in the face that re M10, he, Cooke, DID NOT complete it.

he insisted that all he'd done was produce a "performing version".

I wouldn't have missed it for the world. No-one but Mahler could have done it.

For me, it smells, like Mahler, sounds like Mahler, so I call it Mahler, and I thrill to hear it quite wether anyone is sniffy or not.

Also, I've discovered a site when we can find out what the semi-professional, amateur and youth orchestras of the UK are playing. They're not averse to big works. I heard the Suffolk Youth Orchestra play M1 last summer, and it was a pleasure.

Likewise, some orch. is doing M6 next June in London. Worth seeking out cos there are so many fine musicians for whom there's no room in the big orchetras.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »
I should be thanking you, Mister Bob, for your excellent report on orchestral happenings outside of London. I've heard great things about the Bridgewater Hall, as a friend of mine in London visits there regularly. Based on your report, I'm very much looking forward to the Noseda/BBC Phil. M10. I figure that Chandos wouldn't bother to record M10, unless they thought that they had captured something extraordinary. As much as I do think that Simon Rattle was greatly bolstered by the British press, I do think that he's been instrumental in getting a healthy orchestral scene established in places other than London. Keep those reports coming!

I've been very curious about Janowski's recording of the Tchaikovsky "Manfred" symphony. It's a work that I really like, and I believe that Mahler performed it several times.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:27:41 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline techniquest

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
Also, I've discovered a site when we can find out what the semi-professional, amateur and youth orchestras of the UK are playing. They're not averse to big works. I heard the Suffolk Youth Orchestra play M1 last summer, and it was a pleasure.

Can you let us have a link please Ivor?

Offline stillivor

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
    http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/

is the one for amateurs.

The site for youth orchestras is currently under construction.

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk