Author Topic: It's January - it must be M1-a-thon time!  (Read 14482 times)

Offline techniquest

Re: It's January - it must be M1-a-thon time!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »
Philharmonia Orchestra / Benjamin Zander (Telarc)
This isn't going to be quite as 'in depth' as the Nanut run-down above mainly because this one does so much more right!
As the symphony opens, you can almost see Mahler appear from the mists that contain all the music that happened before him; a magical, mysterious, intense opening with toots and parps from the winds just as they should be and with the sun coming out (the 'sunshine breakfast' bit) with just the right intensity. The later quiet section with quietly thudding bass drum is so scary that it almost makes you wonder if Mahler knew what was going to happen in the future - I don't know why but something there reminded me of the irregular thudding beat in the opening of the 9th...As the movement develops to it's climax, the horn whoops make you cheer and the whole thing winds up with a ton of energy.
The second movement is just the right tempo for me. It has the power when it needs, but overall feels fresh and almost delicate at times. As, oddly, does the third. The 'frere jaques' isn't too slow (well I don't think it is), and the gipsy dance section has a lightness about it that isn't nearly as 'vulgar' as some performances I have heard.
The 4th opens with fff muted brass that sounds like a squealing pig and immediately we're in frantic, new, scary territory. The brass is powerful and the strings double-time backing is well balanced while the bass drum is huge! (would sound great in a childs Vauxhall Nova!!!). When all this dies down, the romantic feel isn't too slow or slushy, but to-the-point and when it dies away it really does go quiet. That's one thing to watch with this otherwise very fine recording, the dynamic range is vast - I had to alter the volume control a few times so as to hear the quiet bits but not blow the walls down during the loud bits! I would also have preferred a better tam-tam too - come on it only gets 2 big hits in this symphony and it's at a key point!
When the big theme comes in for it's first show, there's plenty of floor rumbling from the bass drum, fine horns and trumpet that isn't too intrusive. This too dies away and brings us back to sounds from the symphony's opening during which I was very impressed with the flute and piccolo interplay. Some of this quiet section is slower than I have been used to, and I rather like it. It doesn't drag, but it enables the music to 'sing'.
A tad too much hesitation maybe justbefore the 'big theme' returns, but when it does it's great! And then (oh dear) the very end is just too slow. Damn!! Other than this, I like the preformance. The recording is top-notch and the bonus is a terrific discussion by Zander of M1 (and the Songs of the Wayfarer filler) on a 79 minute 2nd disc.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 01:59:12 AM »
Although it's a shameless plug for my hometown orchestra, any Mahler 1st nuts looking for the obscure might wish to try Hans Vonk's rendition with the Saint Louis Symphony. I like it a lot.

Movement timings:

I. 15:36
II 7:38
III 10:22
IV 18:21
TT 51:59

If you're interested in it, don't go through Amazon, which only has some way overpriced used ones listed. Instead, order through the orchestra itself: https://www.themillergroup.com/saintlouissymphony/order/Merchandise/order/merch_list.asp

And let me know what you think...even if you find it not to your liking!

Offline chris

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 02:23:54 AM »
Although it's a shameless plug for my hometown orchestra, any Mahler 1st nuts looking for the obscure might wish to try Hans Vonk's rendition with the Saint Louis Symphony. I like it a lot.

Movement timings:

I. 15:36
II 7:38
III 10:22
IV 18:21
TT 51:59

If you're interested in it, don't go through Amazon, which only has some way overpriced used ones listed. Instead, order through the orchestra itself: https://www.themillergroup.com/saintlouissymphony/order/Merchandise/order/merch_list.asp

And let me know what you think...even if you find it not to your liking!

Oh fine, after your praise here and from your older post about, I'm sold.  I just put an order in for the M1 and the Bruckner 7.   

I keep meaning to get down to St. Louis to catch a symphony - I'd like to see the Dr. Atomic Symphony, but my wife hated hated hated the opera.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 03:29:13 AM »
I hope you'll like it!

I love Adams' music. He's not only my favorite living composers, but one of my favorite composers, period. However, I heard the premiere of the Dr. Atomic Symphony over the internet when it was performed at the Proms this summer, and I was a little underwhelmed.  I admire the fact Adams told the St. Louis Symphony that he needed more time to complete the Symphony version. However, judging by the radio burn, he could've used more time. Perhaps the orchestra, (which I think was the BBC SO)  didn't have the music in their bones yet, or maybe Adams isn't the best advocate of the work. But we'll see.  Maybe hearing this live will be a mind changer.  Robertson's a wonderful interpretor of Adams, so I'll look forward to him hopefully changing my mind. If not, I'll still get to hear the rarely performed Sibelius masterpiece, Tapiola! 

Now the one I'm really looking forward to is when the SLSO does Adams' The Dharma at Big Sur in April.  It's a fantastic work, that kinda reminds me of Mahler's fascination with the Far East. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 08:09:08 AM »
The Hans Vonk M1 is really very, very good. The Slatkin M5 is also quite good.

Barry

Offline stillivor

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »
  Started a bit of a Mahlerthon with that Nanut.

my take is rather different. it seems to me a very pastoral interpretation for much of the way -
gentle, sweet. A very easy-going I; and II, where maybe he doesn't get too excited at the end of
the first section is cos he's saving it for the end of the movement; III keeps that mood going. I'm
 happy with a pp dynamic, and there are some lovely moments; IV starts with a great explosion. I
 agree a little about the trumpet being very prominent. Mind you, that was one of Mahler's fingerprints, the trumpet really leading the wind section. I prob. get too enthusiastic - I just don't really notice absolute imprecision, and the whole performance ends quite Horenstein-style with a stately, pride-of-youth coda, and the last 2 chords more separated a la Steinberg. Earlier some wonderfully controlled snarly brass. Not surprised a Virgo was in charge.    :-[ not.

Soon for another performance not in Vincent great discography. So far, I seem to have lit upon 3.

Ivor

Offline sbugala

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 05:39:19 AM »
I hope you'll like it!

I love Adams' music. He's not only my favorite living composers, but one of my favorite composers, period. However, I heard the premiere of the Dr. Atomic Symphony over the internet when it was performed at the Proms this summer, and I was a little underwhelmed.  I admire the fact Adams told the St. Louis Symphony that he needed more time to complete the Symphony version. However, judging by the radio burn, he could've used more time. Perhaps the orchestra, (which I think was the BBC SO)  didn't have the music in their bones yet, or maybe Adams isn't the best advocate of the work. But we'll see.  Maybe hearing this live will be a mind changer.  Robertson's a wonderful interpretor of Adams, so I'll look forward to him hopefully changing my mind. If not, I'll still get to hear the rarely performed Sibelius masterpiece, Tapiola! 

Now the one I'm really looking forward to is when the SLSO does Adams' The Dharma at Big Sur in April.  It's a fantastic work, that kinda reminds me of Mahler's fascination with the Far East. 

It's offtopic, and I'm quoting my own post, but judging by these program notes on the SLSO's website, Adams did revise the Dr. Atomic Symphony score, so maybe it will be better than what I heard over the net.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »
 Just finished a rare treat, Joseph Kreutzer and the Royal  Danish SO (it says on the Italian Joker label )it wasn't in Mouret's discography last time I looked. Anyone know more?

From about 1971. Quite quick (c.47 m), refreshing , bright, well- controlled I thought, lovely big finish - but waddu I know.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 07:16:18 AM »
a Danish orchestra on the Italian Joker label? Do you think it could be ficticious labeling? That does happen, once in a while.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 07:07:36 PM »
  Could be tho' Mouret has a Kreutzer M5 on Joker. And the label of mine refers to that perf. too.

I wouldn't know where to begin to track down the origins.

In the 60s, there was Barrington-Coupe (of Hattogate dame) label called Fidelio, which produced a marvellous Tchaik 4 with the "Danzig Phil" and "Felix Heiss". Love to know who they are.

Ivor

Offline stillivor

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
 Tonight heard gergiev's live M1/LSO.

Quite passionate. The tymapani have an over-great time throughout. Like a true Taurus, G. emphasises the bass line. it's all rather overdone. The tymp obliterates everything else in the last phrase of !, but it does a tremendous steady cresc. through the last four chords at the end. Poor old clarinet plays a horrible note right near the beginning. Somewhat unsubtle too often, tho exciting.

Ivor

Offline techniquest

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
That clarinet was countered beautifully by the erroneous trumpet parp right near the end! I quite liked Gergievs treatment until the final movement which sounded very disjointed and almost became a tympani concerto with the strings and woods in particular being drowned out in the final pages altogether. However, it's one I'll probably buy when it's released on the LSO Live label later in the year (along - whoopee - with all the others thus creating a cycle!). I am particularly interested in how M3 is going to sound tomorrow - I'm really into M3 at the moment and have spent far too much money on rather too many recordings!

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
That clarinet was countered beautifully by the erroneous trumpet parp right near the end! I quite liked Gergievs treatment until the final movement which sounded very disjointed and almost became a tympani concerto with the strings and woods in particular being drowned out in the final pages altogether. However, it's one I'll probably buy when it's released on the LSO Live label later in the year (along - whoopee - with all the others thus creating a cycle!). I am particularly interested in how M3 is going to sound tomorrow - I'm really into M3 at the moment and have spent far too much money on rather too many recordings!

Try to find the Rogner M3 I reviewed in the other thread...it's incredible, especially the first four movements.

--Todd

Offline techniquest

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »
Arrgh no! Not more expenditure - and I read that thread and found there are other M3's I didn't know about that might need to be found...
Maybe I'll wait until March cos that's when we should schedule an M3-A-Thon!!

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
 :)

I dig man...and I feel your pain!!  March is a great time for an M3 Fest.

--Todd
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:18:46 AM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk