Author Topic: EMI is my "Mahler label of the year" for 2006. Here's why:  (Read 5202 times)

Offline barry guerrero

EMI is my "Mahler label of the year" for 2006. Here's why:
« on: January 23, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »
I want to thank EMI for a fantastic Mahler year in 2006. Not only did they have the guts to put the entire Bertini cycle into an attractive box, but they finished the year off by issuing both of Tennstedt's M8 performances. The DVD of his 1991 M8 performance (too slow, for me), is coupled to his slow but famous Chicago M1. But just as equally intelligent, they gave his under-rated '80s Mahler 8th the "Great Recording Of The Century" remastering treatment, and coupled it with his surprisingly lively account of the 4th symphony. Bravo!

As if all of that weren't enough, EMI put Paul Kletzki's fine M4 and "DLvdE" together on a "two-fer". They also started out 2006 by giving Rattle's highly acclaimed "Resurrection" symphony the "Great Recording Of The Century" treatment as well. Let me tell you, I like it much more now.

EMI also did an audio upgrade on the Simon Rattle M8, by issuing it on a DVD with expanded dynamic range (no picture, just sound). Unfortunately, I don't think that the general public understood the concept. But trust me, it sounds better.

I don't see how EMI could possibly top themselves in 2007. However, they have already reissued Barbirolli's slow but persisant M6/Ein Heldenleben coupling, on to a budget priced "two-fer"; all but giving away this music. I'd like to see them give Simon Rattle's M3/Wunderhorn songs a "GROC" upgrade. I really think it's worth that status.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:37:31 AM by barry guerrero »

BorisG

Re: EMI is my "Mahler label of the year" for 2006. Here's why:
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »
I want to thank EMI for a fantastic Mahler year in 2006. Not only did they have the guts to put the entire Bertini cycle into an attractive box, but they finished the year off by issuing both of Tennstedt's M8 performances. The DVD of his 1991 M8 performance (too slow, for me), is coupled to his slow but famous Chicago M1. But just as equally intelligent, they gave his under-rated '80s Mahler 8th the "Great Recording Of The Century" remastering treatment, and coupled it with his surprisingly lively account of the 4th symphony. Bravo!

As if all of that weren't enough, EMI put Paul Kletzki's fine M4 and "DLvdE" together on a "two-fer". They also started out 2006 by giving Rattle's highly acclaimed "Resurrection" symphony the "Great Recording Of The Century" treatment as well. Let me tell you, I like it much more now.

EMI also did an audio upgrade on the Simon Rattle M8, by issuing it on a DVD with expanded dynamic range (no picture, just sound). Unfortunately, I don't think that the general public understood the concept. But trust me, it sounds better.

I don't see how EMI could possibly top themselves in 2007. However, they have already reissued Barbirolli's slow but persisant M6/Ein Heldenleben coupling, on to a budget priced "two-fer" - all but giving away this music. I'd like to see them give Simon Rattle's M3/Wunderhorn songs a "GROC" upgrade. I really think it's worth that status.

I thought I saw the EMI Gemini Barbirolli M6 as a November 2006 reissue, so yes, 2007 will be a hard act to follow for EMI or anyone.

No M6 "slow" gripes from me. A small one would be getting its Scherzo back in proper order.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk