Author Topic: Polished vs. Rugged  (Read 11282 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Polished vs. Rugged
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 10:07:16 AM »
I don't claim to be an expert on Fried. I'm only making what I believe to be a rather objective statement, which is that Fried allegedly learned his tempo relationships - tempo adjustments from one section to the next -  directly from Mahler. Beyond that, I don't get a thing out of the recording due to its incredibly limited sound quality. Sorry, but I just don't. For that reason, I'm not willing to assign a subjective value to it. If it works for you, GREAT, but I would never recommend it to others as a first recording; or their one and only recording of M2. If people are curious enough to get it as a supplement, fine - that makes some sense to me. It certainly doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Barry
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:12:44 AM by barry guerrero »

Ivor

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »
   I quite agree.

Ivor

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 12:42:59 AM »
I also agree...well said.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 04:04:49 AM »
Thank you, but please know that I'm not trying to shut anybody down here. I'm just stating that I can't get anything out of this particular recording, other than just tempi. Perhaps there are pressings that reveal a tad more detail than others. I also don't use real high end audio equipment, other than my Bose headphones. Perhaps that's a major factor as to why I prefer good sounding recordings to those that don't sound so good.

Barry

Offline david johnson

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »
Polished vs. Rugged is not what i notice...i hear 'another plane' or 'smack in the face immediate presence'.  i enjoy both.

dj

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 02:30:55 PM »
Yes, but a fly swatter will do the same thing. Do you hear what Mahler wrote, or just an outline of the work? And, are you having to connect the dots in your mind? If you answer yes, then no; you're a far better listener than I am.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk