General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Macal/CPO/Exton M5th SACD - does anybody know?

(1/1)

John Kim:
I didn't know that Victor Carr reviewed it on classicstoday.com. He gave a warm 8/10:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=7486

What is your opinion, Scott?

For me an underplayed but beautifully played and recorded M5th should work just fine :)

Best,

John,

Leo K:
This M5 looks like my cup of tea...thanks for the link John...I also didn't know this had been reviewed.

--Todd

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: John Kim on February 09, 2008, 07:47:45 PM ---I didn't know that Victor Carr reviewed it on classicstoday.com. He gave a warm 8/10:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=7486

What is your opinion, Scott?

For me an underplayed but beautifully played and recorded M5th should work just fine :)

Best,

John,

--- End quote ---

I'll have to listen to this one again over the next few weekends, since I gave it short shrift the first time around.  The first two movements sounded very stiff and inflexible to my ears, and I basically lost interest after that.  I wasn't really in the mood for M5 when this one arrived. 

Leo K:
(sorry I left the exact timings at home)

Somes thoughts after my first hearing...

I have to say the Macal M5 is pretty impressive in sound and performance.  Once again, in some spots his tempo choices are suprising (at least to me), but there is a lot of thought behind the performance.  The first movement is fast, played with viger and strength (nothing leisurely here) and clocks in around 12 minutes, while the second stretches out to around 14 minutes...these tempos are an interesting contrast for sure.  The second movement is just as emotional as a Tennsedt live M5...very serious and wieghty.  The Scherzo is a vast canvas...at 19 minutes it feels quite lyrical...the highlights are the exquisite playing of the CPO, especially the solo horn!  The Adagietto at 10 minutes is very gentle, again excellant playing thoughout with wonderful sense of pace and drama.  The 14 minute finale is truly amazing in structure and action, with awesome brass and detail well heard...it may be my favorite M5 finale ever!   

This is the best SACD M5 I've yet heard, outshining MTT's SACD M5 in every way.

--Todd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version