General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Bertini box...again....

(1/3) > >>

Leo K:
I'm now halfway though this box (going slow), and I must say it has been a revelation.  The playing and the conducting reveal so much about these scores...musical details and discoveries I never considered, or just didn't know about are all over the place! 

I especially love his M2 and M5, but his M9 and M8 are also incredible...I could go on and on...but most already know, I've just been late to the party!

--Todd

barry guerrero:
I think of Bertini's Mahler as being right down the middle between Bernstein and Boulez, but with really good sound and great playing. I still think that his is the best overall cycle - from start to finish - of anyone's. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to have Bernstein, Boulez, and a whole bunch of others too.

Barry

Leo K:
Great description Barry, I couldn't agree more.

Got started on his M7 last night with the first two movements...it's gold...I love the subtle way with the score...every bar literally sings...incredible.  What a great orchestra too.

--Todd

Leo K:
The rest of Bertini's M7 doesn't disappoint!  And the M5 is revelatory...I think it may be my favorite M5 of all, at least in performance (there are better sounding M5's, such as the new Macal M5).  Yet the pacing of Bertini's M5 is near ideal for my taste, which suprises me somewhat, since I'm usually a "slow guy". 

--Todd

barry guerrero:
That's interesting to me because Bertini's 5th is the item I like the least from the box set. But you're right about pacing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version