Author Topic: Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M9th - my own impression  (Read 3740 times)

Offline John Kim

Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M9th - my own impression
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:29:13 AM »
I finished listening to the Schwarz's M9th.

Todd has done a great job of describing and reviewing the recording, so I will only try to add my own thoughts here.

This one is more intense and tougher than I can ever remember from hearing a live concert with Seattle Symphony Orch. in 2005. The playing is really good but it is not as refined as the playing of the SSO.  At first I thought the rehearsal time must have been inadequate for these concerts from which the recording was made, but after hearing all four movements I concluded the ruggedness in the playing is rather reflected by Schwarz's conducting. Make no mistake, RLPO plays really well but combined with the sound quality that is distant and doesn't always succeed in brining out all the details, the overall impression is that they play the symphony with more meat than subtlety. The good news is that this RB is in the same league as Lenny/RCO/DG and Lenny/BSO; at every turn of the movt. Schwarz brilliantly whips the orchestra into frenzy and it only gets more and more intense towards the manic conclusion. What a great treat! The first movt.'s climaxes are also characterized similarly, although here some details of the complex, clashing polyphonic lines are buried under the huge sonic outburst. The horns are too prominent and loud at times but in the Finale RLPO strings do themselves proud with big, hearty sound that is nicely balanced by the brass.

All in all, this new M9th is quite a surprise and may be a cup of tea for those who like Mahler's symphony played to its hilt. It definitely deserves to be known better outside the small group of minor classical recording companies.

The recording level is low, so you'll need to turn the volume up to appreciate the performance.

My verdict:

9/8 (performance/sound)

John,
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:49:45 AM by John Kim »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M9th - my own impression
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:54:49 AM »
Thanks John, and I found it interesting to hear Schwarz uses a new conception with the RLPO.  Yes, this is a very muscular M9!

--Todd

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M9th - my own impression
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:24 AM »
I must have missed the earlier thread on this, or if I saw it I probably thought that it was an historical recording.  Thanks for the review.  Your discussion of the R-B has peaked my interest indeed!
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk