General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

received copy of Schumann/Mahler symphonies complete

(1/2) > >>

barry guerrero:
Hi everyone,

I picked up the Decca issue of all four Schumann symphonies, reorchestrated by Mahler (Chailly/Gewandhaus Leipzig). What Decca did was rather silly: they had already issued symphonies 2 & 4 (plus an overture), but decided to offer 1 & 3 by putting them out in a "twofer" with those already released symphonies 2 & 4. Therefore, if you bought the first issue, you'd be getting those symphonies again when picking up the other two symphonies. Even more weird, Decca dropped the overture on this new issue.

I haven't listened to symphonies 1 & 3 yet, but I'll be sure to report on them right away.

barry guerrero:
Here's what Dave Hurwitz had to say about them:

If you already bought the single-disc release of Symphonies 2 and 4 (reviewed in 2007), then you're out of luck; to complete the cycle with Symphonies Nos. 1 and 3, you'll have to duplicate your initial purchase. But on the plus side, the performances are just as fine as previously--and in fact comprise the only recommendable Schumann cycle in Mahler's rescoring. Once again there are some impressive moments, mostly concerning brass, timpani, and occasionally woodwinds. The great horn call in the first movement of the Rhenish, for example, starts with stopped tones, continues piano, and features some striking woodwind timbres. Mahler also restores the original pitch of the opening brass call in the "Spring" Symphony. Chailly conducts gutsy, vivacious performances throughout, though for some reason the sonics aren't as fine this time around: the orchestra seems squeezed toward the center of the stereo spectrum, and there isn't the same warmth and richness to the lower end (cellos, basses, and timpani). Still, this is a wonderful set for fans of Schumann and Mahler alike. [2/20/2008]

--David Hurwitz

Freddy van Maurik:
I own this as well, but I'm not sure D.H. is right... I think I saw a release of a single disc 1 & 3 on hmv.co.jp, so I may be worth your while to wait just a few more months, if you don't want to duplicate.

barry guerrero:
Thanks Freddy. For the American market, I doubt that they'll issue that separate 1/3 set. They'll probably delete the 2/4 one at some point instead.

sperlsco:
Well the new one is 2 for 1 priced, and mid-priced at that ($14 USD at Amazon).  Plus, it is in a single-sized jewel case.  So there is no real loss in purchasing the double CD if you previously purchased the single CD of S2 & S4.  I agree that these are all fine performaces, although I have no real basis for comparison in Schuman symphonies. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version