Author Topic: Sinopoli M4  (Read 11937 times)

Polarius T

Re: Sinopoli M4
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for your input. However, as I mentioned a couple of times just above your post here in this same thread, this is a recording whose existence I wasn't even aware of, so, umm, yes, I hadn't heard it, nor did I imply anything to the contrary; if you re-read my post, I trust you'll see the point was more general in nature, addressing itself to a broader pattern I believe I've observed in your reviews. And naturally I apologize if you took it personally since the post you refer to dates from before I knew you had anything to do with this forum.

In the case of this particular review it just struck me as odd to see anyone blaming Schaefer for a "lack of purity of timbre," of whatever sort; on the face of it it's a bit like claiming Elisabeth Schwarzkopf to be guilty of sloppy enunciation. Moreover I've heard pretty much everything Schaefer has recorded, and been there for her concerts appearances every time possible, and so have plenty of reason to doubt she'd even be capable of having an off night.

That's all.

PT
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:22:14 PM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 04:55:22 AM »
7 out of 10 is hardly a bad review. I suppose a 7 could be interpreted as being "lukewarm". I don't feel that Haitink's latest remake of M4 is a 10/10 by any means. But I do believe that the sound quality could earn a 10, possibly. As I like this performance much, MUCH more than his Chicago M3 or M6, I reckon that I'd extend a rating of 8 to it. So, 8/10 is my vote, which is just one notch above David.

To his credit, at least Haitink doesn't drag the tempi all over the place, which has been the case with this Chicago Mahler recordings.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »
7 out of 10 is hardly a bad review. I suppose a 7 could be interpreted as being "lukewarm". I don't feel that Haitink's latest remake of M4 is a 10/10 by any means. But I do believe that the sound quality could earn a 10, possibly. As I like this performance much, MUCH more than his Chicago M3 or M6, I reckon that I'd extend a rating of 8 to it. So, 8/10 is my vote, which is just one notch above David.

To his credit, at least Haitink doesn't drag the tempi all over the place, which has been the case with this Chicago Mahler recordings.

I agree the latest Haitink M4 is a possible 10 in sound quality.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 05:16:24 PM »
Agreed. this Haitink M4th has the best sound in his second Mahler cycle on Philips. Haitink's Berlin M2nd and M5th also have pretty good sonics. These - M2, M4, M5 - also happen to be the most successful in terms of interpretation and playing.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
John,

We're talking about Haitink's most recent M4 on RCO Live, with Christine Schaefer.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
John,

We're talking about Haitink's most recent M4 on RCO Live, with Christine Schaefer.

Barry
Sorry. Well, in that case, yes its sound quality blows all other competitions. In other aspects as well it is probably the best of all Haitink M4ths.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »
Musically, I like the second one that he made with the Concertgebouw - the one with Roberta Alexander. It definitely has more momentum than the Berlin one with Sylvia McNair (who sings very well). I've never heard the one that comes in the box of Christmas matinee concerts (which I imagine is probably very good). I also like Elly Ameling on his very first one. None of them are bad.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 12:31:52 AM »
I love the Amy Ameling too...haven't heard his other you mentioned though.  I do have his Xmas Matinee
4 but I haven't heard yet.

--Todd

Offline Damfino

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »
The one in the Christmas set features Maria Ewing. her voice is too mezzo for my tastes, so it was no sale for me.

I'd like to hear the Roberta Alexander version. She was the soprano in the Christmas Mahler 2nd recording, and did quite well. I wish Haitink had engaged her for the live Christmas 4th in place of Ewing. Still have not heard the most recent Haitink 4th.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 06:00:09 AM »
I've never cared for Maria Ewing, and I can't imagine her being a good choice for M4.  I guess that's why the 4th has never been mentioned as being one of the high water marks for this particular box set.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk