Author Topic: What is your single "must-have on a desert island" Mahler work?  (Read 53827 times)

Polarius T

Re: What is your single "must-have on a desert island" Mahler work?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 08:57:22 PM »
PT may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Funny! But thanks all the same.

I was actually considering between that, "Abbado Will Wipe the Floor with Karajan!," "Bernstein's Shaking It and Faking It!," and "Am I right, or am I right?" for my motto.

(The formative influences of my youth were NBA and Dennis Potter.)

PT

Offline sbugala

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
Thanks John and Logan,
I guess this is yet another daily reminder that I am still learning.  I never would have imagined that an LP could produce sound preferable to that of a CD.  Now, I wish I'd hung onto more of my LPs.

John H

Well, there are several opinions AND viewpoints on this. Number one, not everyone thinks digital is inferior (count me among those). Objectively speaking it ain't, either, regardless of what and how you measure (dynamic range & frequency range reproduced, various types of distortion, etc.). Add to that the inherent stability, durability, storability, user-friendliness, cost of acquisition & maintenance, availability etc. of the medium and for many you have a winner at hand. Second, in the early going they didn't quite know how to make digital recordings yet, hence the "bad" sound of the early DDD issues. Nothing inherent about the medium in this, the same was true for the early stereo and the early DSD/MC as well. Things improve. (How long did it take to get the monaural techniques honed to the level by which we now know them in our recollections? 50 years?) Third, there are psychoacoustic phenomena that may be responsible for the preference that many show for their old LPs. Analog had lots (and I mean LOOOTS) of various types of distortion which is entirely lacking in the digital format and may be what makes people prefer the "analog sound." So it wouldn't be more accurate but in fact less accurate (more distorted) but people for some reason like "the sound" of that distortion. Certain kind of harmonic distortion gives a feeling of there being more "air" in the upper range, for instance. That distortion can also be the product of the playback equipment. The distortion is then not there in the music, it's not there in the signal feed, it's not there in the master tapes (or comparable), but it's introduced in it by the analog playback rig. In a somewhat similar fashion some people prefer 78 rpm monos. This medium simply contains so little information (compared to PCM digital and SACD especially) that it's really nicer and easier ("smoother") to listen to, claim some. Fourth, there is the force of habit. We all grew up with the sound of our LPs and even 78s, and that's how we learned to recognize a good sound and know our music by. Digital is simply so much more accurate to the original signal feed and so much greater dynamic range (the difference between the quietest and the loudest sounds) and frequency range (the lowest and the highest sound produced) that it can simply be a bit "disturbing" to listen to, in your own living room where you are habituated to the limitations of the LP medium.

So I'd say anyone can have a preference, but to talk about the "better" sound of LPs to my ears is just nonsensical, unless it's heavily qualified somehow. It simply isn't any better, no matter how you look at it; but it may be "nicer" in several ways. And in many cases it's also not about the product itself but about what the playback chain that you own does to it.

Comparisons are very dubious unless there is careful enough level matching (in blind tests people *always* prefer the sound that is even a little bit louder), the switch component (A/B) is reliable, and the test is really blind (not even the switcher knows what he/she is switching to, so as to be unable to give unconscious signals to the testee).

Anyway, if you take almost any of the current PCM recordings (have you heard what they can do these days? Try for example the new Pollini/Mozart cto recordings, or the Boulez Mahler 2, whatever), I doubt you can maintain it's inferior to anything you've heard in the past, including SACD. Interestingly, to date there hasn't been one single blind test in which the listeners could have reliably been able to tell apart a hi-rez recording from a normal PCM variant of the same, when all other conditions were controlled.

I'm also tickled by the ease by which a very large number of the analog fans are now making the transition to hard disc based systems. That's the same digital as in your CD but without the aluminum around it.

But this is really another discussion.

PT
Perhaps objectivity is in the eye of the beholder on this one. Sure, compact discs are more widely availably, and I can't imagine even the most absolute analog fan disagreeing.   I'll grant you the advantage of storability, but cost? As I said earlier, I picked up Mehta's Mahler Fifth for a quarter. You'd be hard pressed to find anything on CD, even by the Novosibirsk Philharmonic for that price.  So I don't quite understand your cost point.

An important reminder for the vinyl vs. compact disc debate is that it is NOT always analog vs. digital...although for some it is.  For me, some Telarc digitally recorded LPs slay their CD counterpart. I prefer the Slatkin M1 and the Cleveland Winds Holst Suites recordings to their CD equivalents. And it's not because of any "distortion." 

Unlike a few vinyl disciples, I'd never say "chuck your cds." But in certain cases I think many would agree that a well-engineered LP beats a poorly or indifferently remastered CD. And sometimes even on equal footing, a record can have an edge. 

At the very least, remastering can goof up a good recording, whatever the format.  Now, perhaps theres no absolute truth in any of this, but I'll share an example of why I'm sometimes fed up with the "new improved" sound.  Karajan's DG account of Respighi's Pines of Rome is one of my favorite party records because he brings out the so-called buccine in the last movement to such prominent levels. The first cd incarnation, and the LP, had them really loud to nearly train horn levels. Cool stuff.  The "better" DG Originals account, hyped because of the "careful attention of the tonmeister" (if I remember the blurb correctly) made them much more polite.  I had to track down the LP for the proper sound.  Now, how do we know that the tonmeister is "wrong?" Because Herb's Philharmonia account has almost equally obnoxious buccine. He very clearly wanted this part brought out. 

In the end, those who want to stick to CDs or digitial downloads or whatever comes down the road, should. But newer, faster, or more user-friendly isn't always better, just as microwaved food generally doesn't taste better than a home-cooked meal. Vinyl can be a nice alternative, and until EVERYTHING is accessible, is a nice way to hear stuff that's out of the current catalogs. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:46:32 PM by sbugala »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »
I still love LP's because I can get a bunch on a new composer for real cheap.  I especially like collecting Haydn's stuff on LP...and Stravinsky.  I'm actually going to the LP store today to pick up some Bruckner Masses!  And Sibilius (thanks John for the recommend).

--Todd

Polarius T

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2008, 08:46:02 AM »
An important reminder for the vinyl vs. compact disc debate is that it is NOT always analog vs. digital...In certain cases I think many would agree that a well-engineered LP beats a poorly or indifferently remastered CD.
There are two separate issues: What a medium allows, and how these possibilities are taken advantage of.

In the first regard, CDs or PCM recording and replay allow a much broader spectrum of what's possible for the sound engineers to achieve than analog tape. (That's not even questioned by anyone.) That's in principle. Another thing is what's done about those possibilities (think of, e.g., dynamic compresssion in pop and -- apparently -- increasingly also jazz; but also of the learning  curves in implementation).

Mastering seems indeed much more important than the medium as such. Like you say, a well-mastered analog LP beats a sloppy-job digital CD and even SACD. But a well-done CD/digital can give you clearly more than a well-done LP/analog. Then it also depends how well you yourself take advantage of that which is offered (primarily, how good your speakers are and did you set them up about right).

The rest is kind of peripheral as considerations, I think (cost, etc.). But the lost cost of LPs that you mention applies to used LPs only, to that corner-store second-hand and flea-market business that constitutes a hobby in itself and an additional attraction yet (search & discovery...) for LP collectors. Were you to buy new prime LP issues today you'll invariably pay a lot more than for the prime CD issue of the same. Likewise for the equipment: What would an analog rig cost that's performancewise comparable to (=near approximate of) a $500 digital setup? $3,000?

I love LPs and always have but I think we can make the distinction between hobby fascination vs. pure performance specs.

Methinks,

PT
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:52:34 AM by Polarius T »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »
I don't know. For all the talk of compression, I still think it is the compact disc that sounds bound up.  I can't comment too much on SACD, for I only have a few hybrids. But I keep hearing that SACDs are supposed to bring the listener closer to the vinyl warmth that many miss with CDs. 

But I don't have anything close to $3000 in my turntable set up, and I'm thrilled.  I have an old Dual 1219 turntable I traded for (it would have been $80 had I paid for it.) And a phono preamp (a little more pricey for sure at $400, and a $100 cart.)  Maybe someday if a few ebay sales go well, I'll upgrade to the really good stuff. Otherwise, I think I get some pretty good music out of those.

I think the jury will be deadlocked on this one.

Polarius T

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
I think the jury will be deadlocked on this one.

It is, and has been from the start. But the specs is really what I mean to speak of, not so much the subjective perception or preference. People seem to like that less accurate and less than neutral sound that their analog rigs deliver, even with all the cracks and pops and rumbling present. (And tape saturation in climaxes.) One point that I think is interesting is that for obvious evolutionary reasons we tend to listen more attentively (and thus hear better) in the presence of, say, low-level white noise or some other form of distortion (whether we "hear" it or not). But yes, the analog "softness" or "smoothness" AKA "warmth" is the usual desciption here. I myself much prefer the sharpest possible delineation, and anyway can't even subjectively compare (best would be to run some blind tests on this) as I no longer own a turntable. Then again I've never looked back, which I guess I leave as my bottom line.

Happy listening.

PT

Offline sbugala

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2008, 04:23:11 AM »

Happy listening.

PT

And to you, too!

Offline Don

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 08:55:49 PM »
If I could have just one it would be the completed 10th. Any would suffice, except the Mazzetti #1. And if I had no other choice I would take that one!
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Seán

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »
Hello, this is my first post.  My background : I have been listening to Jazz music for more than thirty years.  I only started listening to Mahler late last year and I am addicted to his music almost to the point of obsession.

I will comment if I may on the off topic discussion on this thread of the relative benefits of Vinyl versus CD.   I prefer Vinyl and I have a much better turntable than CD player.  The quality of the equipment is critical of course when making comparisons between the two methods of playback.

Anyway, my desert island disc?  A few months ago I would have said the von Karajan/BPO recording of Mahler's Fifth (no laughing please) followed very closely by the Szell/PO Fourth and perhaps even the Barbirolli/BPO Ninth.  However, as some contributors have been stranded with Bertini's box set I would dearly love to be stranded on a desert island with a vinyl copy of the Kubelik/BRSO box set.     

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
Welcome to the board Sean!

I really love the karajan BPO M5, a top tier M5 to be sure.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 03:50:03 AM »
Yes, the Karajan M5th has a great finale - the best coda to V? - and an incredibly intense playing. Alas, Karajan's phrasing in the first two movts. strikes me as pointless and unfocused making the symphony sound less organized than it really is. That's the impression I still get.

John,

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
My choice would be  the Kubelik Das Lied von der Erde (Audite). 

Off topic, I'd like to say how much I appreciate this discussion board.  I'm not a music critic or analyst, but I love Mahler and find very many of the topics and posts to be helpful, informative and much fun to read.  Thanks all.

db

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 05:54:40 AM »
Karajan's M5 and the Kubelik/Baker (Audite) "DLvdE" are certainly excellent desert isle selections. Thank you for those sensible contributions.

Cosima Wagner pulled big-time strings for G.M., in spite of his being Jewish, simply because his conducting of Wagner's opera - not to mention the the demands he would place upon his entire production team on any given opera - was so outstanding. This whole topic is dealt with in the most humorous way imaginable in Ken Russell's "Mahler" movie; if also just a tad tasteless as well. So yes, Mahler was Hitler's favorite conductor of Wagner (if only A.H. had sold more paintings!!!)

Barry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:26:45 AM by barry guerrero »

john haueisen

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:05 PM »
Ken Russell's Mahler movie shocked me a bit the first time--especially seeing a Cosima Wagner figure in a stylishly-scant, black leather Nazi outfit.  Yet the more I learned of Mahler, the more I saw how Russell's film was really making valid statements about Mahler and the Vienna of his time.

If only the would-be landscape painter, A.H. had seen a bit deeper into Wagner's Ring, and perhaps noticed its commentary on the human condition, rather than its "exploitability" for political utility.

--John H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
If only the would-be landscape painter, A.H. had seen a bit deeper into Wagner's Ring, and perhaps noticed its commentary on the human condition, rather than its "exploitability" for political utility.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. It seems to me that Wagner was warning against everything that the Third Reich eventually did. The nazis exploited that entire, back to medieval time; more simplistic; more agrarian based notion does come up in Wagner and German lit. at that time. In other words, they were warning against further alienation of the human spirit through the unstoppable exploitation of the earth's resources; further industrialization, and hence, further bulid-up of military arms. That message is certainly valid today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk