Author Topic: Mahler's Gait  (Read 7582 times)

john haueisen

Mahler's Gait
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »
No, of course I'm not referring to the entrance to a fence around an Attersee cottage or composing hut.  I've heard many references to Mahler's unusual way of walking, describing it as anything from a limp to a skip or stumble.
Does anyone have an idea (or is this impossible to describe in words?) of what people mean, when they refer to Mahler's unusual gait?

--John

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Mahler's Gait
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:51 AM »
"Mahler's unusual way of walking" - that's exactly what they were talking about. Several witnesses said that it was difficult to take a walk with Mahler, because he would never walk at the same pace. His "gait" would force him to take several steps faster, then several steps slower, etc. Who knows what the source of the problem was. It must have been pretty amusing, if also a bit alarming.

B.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »
.    .     .   there you go!

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:58:48 PM »
Some have suggested St. Vitus Dance.

No, it was more of a "skip-to-my-Lou."  ;D

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »
If you know your "Blazing Saddles", there's always the #6 Dance.

B.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »
I thought one biography suggested it was almost a psychological thing, rather than a physical one.  Egon Gartenburg as mentioned under one photo caption that he carried his hat when he walked, which is different, I have to say. 

On second thought, maybe it wasn't a biography, but rather the audio documentary that comes with the New York Philharmonic Mahler Boxed set. However, I sold mine. Could anyone please confirm this?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:15:37 AM by sbugala »

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:04 AM »
On second thought, maybe it wasn't a biography, but rather the audio documentary that comes with the New York Philharmonic Mahler Boxed set. However, I sold mine. Could anyone please confirm this?

You SOLD your NYPO Mahler Broadcasts set??? :o You must have made somebody happy.

I don't recall hearing in those interviews the reference to Mahler's holding his hat while walking, but his daughter Anna, upon being prompted by the interviewer, described his uneven gait as "shifting gear"--that is, changing the length of his stride from time to time.

. & '

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:31:47 AM »

You SOLD your NYPO Mahler Broadcasts set??? :o You must have made somebody happy.

I don't recall hearing in those interviews the reference to Mahler's holding his hat while walking, but his daughter Anna, upon being prompted by the interviewer, described his uneven gait as "shifting gear"--that is, changing the length of his stride from time to time.

. & '

Yes, if I recall now, the holding hat habit was mentioned under a photo caption in the Gartenberg book.  And you correctly jogged my memory regarding the NY Philharmonic profile.

i sold it because I needed the cash, I'm sorry to say. I liked it, but mainly for the wonderful annotation. 

john haueisen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »
Perhaps just as an impetus to propell others of the board towards searching for a better description of Mahler's unusual way of walking, here is a direct quote of what his daughter, Anna, had to say:

"I remember his walk--his very strange walk.  I know exactly what it was, because I walked with him.  People say it was a nervous tic.  It wasn't.  It was irregular, but it was a change of pace.  Every few paces, he just changed--he shifted gears--he shifted--yes, that was all. Why he did it, I don't know.  It was somehow nervous apparently, but it was not a tic, it was not, you know, it, it just shifted.  I walked with him as a child often, so I know these things."

john haueisen

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »
Okay, I started this business of Mahler's unusual way of walking.
It seems only fair that I report back some of the things I've learned.  Here are comments from some of the people who actually observed Mahler walking:

Otto Klemperer:
"This strange man was walking jerkily, hat in hand, and appeared to have a club foot."

Ernst Decsey:
"He swung his hat in his right hand and stamped his left foot as though he wanted to tell the earth to obey him."

William Ritter:
"legs twitching nervously, and so small, so short"  "From time to time he absentmindedly tramples the ground with his feet and jerks with an arm."

Roller:
very muscular, short by South German standards, to Roller Mahler was like a ''racehorse in top form.''

Hermann Reinshagen, NYPO double-bass player:
"He tended to drag one of his legs, prompting the players to say that he walked in 5/4 time."

Samuel Chotzinoff, pianist/critic:
''Mahler was superstitious, like me.  He would suddenly pause without warning, swing his right foot behind him, and with the toe touch the heel of his left foot.''

Mary Powell, American violinist:
"I found he had what might be called an impediment in one of his ankles.  Like someone [afflicted] with a hesitancy in speech, so was his ankle impeded, tapping the ground as if searching for the right spot.  He controlled it almost immediately and on he went again as thought nothing had happened.  It always appeared to be worse when he was tired."

So, we can see how subjective the interpretations were of Mahler's unique gait.  In the larger picture, it matters little how he walked.  I was simply curious, always wanting to know more about that remarkable man, Gustav Mahler. 
BTW:  I located all of these quotes in La Grange, volumes 3 and 4.

John H

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »
That's a fine job of research, John. Many thanks for doing it and sharing it with us.

I saw Mahler walking.

He was with a poet named Botstein, and they were in conversation as they walked. Mahler wore a long overcoat and a soft hat--a fedora.

I was walking behind and saw his gait clearly. It was a slight limp in the right leg.

I sped up and passed Mahler and Botstein on the right; as I did so I looked back into Mahler's face. It was a very kind face as he returned my gaze and nodded. All of this transpired within a few minutes in a dream I had a couple of months ago, a memorable experience.

Really.

. & '

Polarius T

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
I saw Mahler walking.

He was with a poet named Botstein...

"Poet Botstein" as in Leon "The Bard" B.?  :)

What an interesting dream indeed.

PT

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
PT--

As a matter of fact, it was Leon Botstein. Just the name, not the scholar at Bard College. Because I have read Botstein on Mahler, I daresay that is the source of the name in my dream. I can remember what the dream Botstein looked like, but I've never seen the Bard man.

The dream impressed me greatly--the seeing Mahler part. I can still see it in my mind's eye.

Thanks, by the way, for responding and bringing the matter to the fore. It is not likely to be read by many, buried as it is in another topic.

. & '

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk