Author Topic: Good 'Bio' Pick?  (Read 13015 times)

Wunderhorn

Good 'Bio' Pick?
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
I recently searched for a good Mahler bio, but became quite confused. Several of the historians had multiple books on different periods of his life, some seemed too sappy or exalting. I'm interested in one volume that is a summation of more factual aspects. Does anyone have a suggestion for a bio?

Vatz Relham

Re: Good 'Bio' Pick?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »
I like the book by Jonathan Carr, it covers Mahler's whole life, it has a list of works, and a section on recommemded recordings, although these are somewhat out of date compared to what's now available.

See link to Amazon for more info.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Biography-Jonathan-Carr/dp/0879518871/sr=1-1/qid=1170079548/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4475622-8678261?ie=UTF8&s=books

Vatz   

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »
Michael Kennedy's MAHLER, revised edition, is a good start for a brief overview of life an works.  For a fuller biography try Stuart Feder'sGUSTAV MAHLER: A LIFE IN CRISIS. After you have read a biography it will be useful to read Norman Lebrecht's MAHLER REMEMBERED. Then you will be all set to approach some of the collections of essays or the hefty Henri Louis de La Grange multi-volume bio.

. & '

Wunderhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:39:39 AM »
I remember eyeing the Michael Kennedy in the store. I even set down and read a bit of it. It seemed to stick to the facts very coldly, which is actually the way I like my bio's, without all that evangelical nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:42:53 PM by Wunderhorn »

michaelw

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
Personally I like very much the biography by Jens Malte Fischer with subtitle "Der fremde Vertraute" (the foreign intimate).
It has nearly 1000 pages, very comprehensive, covering all aspects of Mahler's life and with an appendix e.g. containing Mahlers concert programs. The strengths are less on the musical side, even if there is a final chapter about conducting Mahler and recordings (with recommendations), but on the imbedding of Mahler's life into his time and society. I read it (partly) during a holiday in Kärnten (Austria) some years ago and the location and the book fitted perfectly. It prepared me well for my visit of the "Komponierhäuschen" at the Wörthersee.

To my surprise, it is still not translated to English.

Michael 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:04:30 AM »
Wow, that's one I've never heard of. I don't suppose that it'll ever get translated into English. Regardless, sounds interesting.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 05:30:57 PM »
My supervisor came to work this morning and gave me a used bio on Mahler she found at a library book sale!  It's by Kurt Blaukopf and it looks really good (published in 1973).  What a great way to come to work ;D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:33:31 PM »
The Blaukopf bio used to be pretty standard. I say "standard" because you used to find it sitting in book stores quite readily. I haven't seen it in years. It's definitely a good one though.

BArry

Wunderhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »
I have this 'thing' were I only buy hardback books, its a condition really :-\, same reason it takes some time actually getting the CD 'in' and 'out' of the player...you can never be too carefull. I found a bio on the internet that looks good. I bought the Kaplan 'Mahler Album' for around $60 when it came out. It is now selling for around $500-1000 at internet auctions.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:20:40 PM by Wunderhorn »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:05:12 PM »
I regret not buying the Mahler Album for around 30 bucks a couple of years ago at a used store.  Rats!

Schoenberg's painting of Mahler's funeral (found inside that book) is a great painting.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 08:19:07 AM »
I have the Mahler Album. Is it really fetching that kind of dough?   :D

Offline ggl

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
I read Carr's book, and thought it was pretty good -- but not great. 

The composer biography I've enjoyed most is Robert Gutman's book on Richard Wagner.  By the end of the book, I was convinced that, however much he might (or might not) protest, Gutman absolutely detests Wagner as a human being (though not as a composer).  As a result, the book is very entertaining.  At times it reminds me of a legal brief  -- an advocacy document -- written to convince the reader he or she should hate Wagner, too.  At one point (I can't remember the specifics), Gutman hypothesizes what Wagner might have thought about some topic of which Gutman's research reveals Wagner had no knowledge; then Gutman proceeds to castigate Wagner for the views he would have held had he actually considered the topic.  This is, of course, unfair, but it's fun.

Gutman also wrote a bio of Mozart; but since Mozart was apparently not a despicable human being, this bio is not nearly as good a read, and contains far too much incidental detail for my taste (e.g., what the composer ate for lunch on a given day).  Leopold Mozart is, in fact, the protagonist of Gutman's bio, and once he dies, the book goes on, but loses whatever oomph it had up to that point.

I also found The Tristan Chord -- a discussion of Wagner's opera's and their relation to the works of Feuerbach and Schopenhauer -- fascinating. 

I'd like to read a great bio of Mahler -- one that has a strong point of view, is well-written, and provides more than just facts.  Does one exist?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:44:56 PM »
When I get my tax return this baby's mine:

And I might pick up Volume II as well!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 10:54:46 PM »
"I'd like to read a great bio of Mahler -- one that has a strong point of view, is well-written, and provides more than just facts.  Does one exist?"

Perhaps Dave Hurwitz's book would fit your criteria. You also get a disc or two of recorded samples, taken from Gielen's cycle on Haenssler.

Offline ggl

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation.  The Hurwitz book looks worthwhile, but from my perusal of the author's comments on amazon.com, it seems this work provides minimal biographical content -- it is, apparently, mostly an analysis of the music.  I will certainly look for it in the bookstore, and examine it with interest. 

Each of us has individualized tastes in reading; generally, I don't much care to have music explained to me at any length, unless there is a "hook," such as with Bryan McGee's book on Wagner in relation to Schopenhauer, etc.  I do enjoy learning about the broader cultural context of the classical music that I find compelling.  Since I've started to listen seriously to Mahler and his contemporaries and near-contemporaries, I've been reading associated literature.  I've read a couple of books by Joseph Roth, finished one volume of Schnitzler's short stories/novellas, and am halfway through another; I'm also about halfway through the first volume of Robert Musil's The Man Without Qualities. 

I quite like Schnitzler, who is a master psychologist and a superb short-story writer, with terrific insights into the male psyche in particular.  Roth is enjoyable, but less interesting to me.  Musil strikes me as a very fine writer who confines himself to a very narrow range of human experience; his book reminds me of Thomas Mann in his jokey/ironic mode.  But unlike Mann, he seems to never leave that mode. 

A contemporary novel that some readers of this forum may find interesting is Andre Bernstein's The Conspirators, which was published in the last year or so  This novel is set in a provincial town  near the end of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and concerns political intrigue, power relations, and the local Jewish community. 

The novel recalls Feodor Dostoevsky's The Possessed in a number of ways.  In my view, Bernstein's novel is one of the few contemporary works I'm familiar with that actually approaches the stature of Dostoevsky's great work.  Though The Conspirators has its flaws -- a strict editor would greatly have helped in two or three places in particular -- it is a stunning work of philosophical/political fiction.  One chapter in particular -- a confrontation between a Jewish religious leader and a financier -- strikes me as one of the most powerful novelistic scenes I've read, and recalls, in its power, the Grand Inquisitor's visit with Christ in the Brothers Karamazov; it also the reminds me of the scene between King Phillip and the Grand Inquisitor in Verdi's Don Carlo. 

But I digress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk