Author Topic: Bruckner is really getting to me...  (Read 40360 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Bruckner is really getting to me...
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »
I think that Klemp's B8 could be very hard to find now, and might cost you pretty penny. There's also the very real risk that you might not like what he does. In fact, I'm almost willing to bet on that. Let's handle it privately: I'll include it in my shipment to you of you know what (more on that later, for the rest of you). So don't go hunting for it. Look for Sinopoli/Dresden or Haitink/VPO instead. Both of those may cost you as well.

B.

Thanks Barry...and I look forward to that you now what  8)
Barry,

Could you do the same favor to me, you know what? 8)

I've been searching for the Kempe B8th for years :-[

John,

Polarius T

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
I think that Klemp's B8 could be very hard to find now, and might cost you pretty penny. There's also the very real risk that you might not like what he does. In fact, I'm almost willing to bet on that. Let's handle it privately: I'll include it in my shipment to you of you know what (more on that later, for the rest of you). So don't go hunting for it. Look for Sinopoli/Dresden or Haitink/VPO instead. Both of those may cost you as well.

Is there a way for additional forum participants still to partake in this you know what? ;D

This reminds me of the reaction rumours of reception food always triggered amongst us in grad school, come guest lecture time, but this time I'd be glad to reciprocate in whichever way.

(I assume you are talking about Klemp & NPO, right?)

PT
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:24:35 PM by Polarius T »

john haueisen

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Barry and John are right about the difficulty of finding Klemperer's B8 by EMI.
Amazon does have one copy available from a used seller.......for $75.00 plus shipping!
Don't fight ove it.

Polarius T

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »
Amazon does have one copy available from a used seller.......for $75.00 plus shipping!

Via Amazon.co.uk you can get it for.......83.43 Sterling pounds (plus postage).

Via Amazon.de about the same, or.......102 euros (plus postage).

--> An opportunity for Barry to make many new friends, and quick.  :P

PT

Offline sbugala

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 04:21:51 AM »
Here's my crazy ramblings about Bruckner...

Someone was kinda enough to burn me a copy many moons ago, but I still recently picked Klemperer's Bruckner 8th on LP at a book fair last month. I love this paragraph from the program notes: 
...Additionally, upon thoughtful re-examination and study of Bruckner's score of the Eighth Symphony, Dr. Klemperer made certain cuts in the last movement. Wrote the maestro" "In the last movement of Bruckner's Eighth Symphony I have made cuts. In this instance it seems to me that the composer was so full of musical invention that he went too far. Brucknerians will object, and it is certainly not my intention that these cuts should be considered as a model for others. I can only take the responsibility for my own interpretation."

For me, his cuts don't quite work. But it is interesting. I admire a conductor for taking a stand now-and-then.  Bernstein threw those weird glissandi type things in the first movement to the Mahler 9th (they work for me), Szell did that positively weird cut in the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra (bad idea!),but...why not? Take chances!

I've always loved Bruckner.  He may not even be a so-called "great" composer, but I still love him.  He's probably more innovative than we even realize. I credit him with being an early minimalist, even if minimalists don't! 

Like Barry, I probably prefer the B9 over the M9.  It's an hour of music that is sooooo seamless. I'll go in thinking, "I'll chill to this for a few minutes. Then, an hour later, I want to start it going again."  I thought I once read a quote from Daniel Barenboim saying that when he first heard the B9 scherzo, he thought it was Shostakovich.  I don't quite hear THAT connection, but it's a visionary work. I love that passage in the last movement that sounds like Bruckner stole it from Ralph Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia, even though Bruckner obviously wrote it first.   Like Barry said, thank goodness he never finished it. 

I have a small point to quibble with Barry's (already described as half-serious) observation that Mahler couldn't have been that into Bruckner. I really wonder if anyone from that time period really understood his music because the editions had so many culprits screwing things up. What was that guy's name, (Schalk?,) who changed the massive chord at the climax of the B9? No one really caught if for years.  Similarly, the B5 was also screwed with.  Ideally, I'd love to see a conductor from Bruckner's time write in a journal or something, "I thought I understood this Bruckner, but these passages just don't seem true to him." That's why I admire Klemperer's decision to go with a cut. I doesn't sound right to me, but he's taking a stand. His B4, 5, 6, and 7 are among the best, so it's not like he's ill-informed on Bruckner.  I'd like to hear Klemperer's B9 someday.

Bruckner may not have even understood his own works. Sometimes his first impressions are best, other times, a later view seems better.  It's really too bad he got in the middle of the infamous Brahms vs. Wagner debate.  For me, he's pretty far removed from either. But I always thought it was an interesting point someone made that the B5 has practically that same instrumentation as the Brahms Second, just larger numbers. Yet, he always gets the Wagnerian tag glued to him because of his late works. 

Last unorthodox thought...

Perhaps we have only in the past 50 or 60 years seen the true advocates of his music come out.  It's probably hyperbole, but if given a choice of a ride in a time machine to hear Furtwangler do Bruckner or Skrowaczewski today, I'd pick Skrowaczewski. 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:33:19 PM by sbugala »

Polarius T

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 10:02:26 AM »
I credit [Bruckner] with being an early minimalist...

Now that's an interesting way of putting it about someone who gave elephantine a new meaning in music and pushed the whole form to its breaking point...

Other than that, not so crazy ramblings but quite nice ones. I don't have a well thought-out position on cuts, apart from a basic tendency to view the original work as untouchable, including the much more frequently manipulated repetitions. But would cuts be more acceptable than alterations? On the other hand, not too long ago adaptations, arrangements, transpositions, orchestrations and reorchestrations, and even fundamental reworkings were pretty much part of the norm in performance practice and compositional practice, all the way from Bach to Mahler, to name but two examples big for our purposes (Mahler, for instance, had absolutely zero scruples in touching people's works, even with a seriuosly heavy hand -- just see what he did with Schumann, for instance). And I kind of trust anything Klemperer decided to do, at least from the interest point of view, even if he himself could drastically change his position on the issue a little later on. At the very least we can say that nothing he did was ever for motivated by anything other than absolute respect for the composer and the work, something in which the personality of the conductor was never to interfere in any manner or form.

And certainly we can agree that if anyone, it is Bruckner who has suffered maybe most in the hands of unscrupulous tinkerers. But it was his own insecure personality that made him so vulnerable, too. Could you imagine a Beethoven or a Schoenberg letting a student or a fan rewrite his piece after an unfavorable response from the public or the Viennes critics (some special lot they were, too)? (Well, Beethoven did, in fact, replacing an entire movement at his publisher's behest.)

PT
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:07:14 AM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »
It's probably hyperbole, but if given a choice of a ride in a time machine to hear Furtwangler do Bruckner or Skrowaczewski today, I'd pick Skrowaczewski.

I totally agree with that thought. First off, other than a very few select recordings, Furtwaengler's Bruckner really isn't that wonderful. Second, Skrowaczewski was (still is?) fabulous at Bruckner. Dave Hurwitz told me that one his greatest early musical experiences was seeing Skrowaczewski conduct B8 someplace on the east coast (don't remember what orch.).

I can't quite hang with the concept of Bruckner being a pre-minimalist, as there are too many disparate elements for me: German medieval music; German "gothic" music; Bach-like counterpoint; Bach-like chorales; Schubert; Wagner; Austrian laendler. For me, this is what's flawed about the finale to B8 (as well as other movements): too much reaching around to various ideas and disparate elements. That's just me.

Barry

Offline sbugala

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
It's probably hyperbole, but if given a choice of a ride in a time machine to hear Furtwangler do Bruckner or Skrowaczewski today, I'd pick Skrowaczewski.

I totally agree with that thought. First off, other than a very few select recordings, Furtwaengler's Bruckner really isn't that wonderful. Second, Skrowaczewski was (still is?) fabulous at Bruckner. Dave Hurwitz told me that one his greatest early musical experiences was seeing Skrowaczewski conduct B8 someplace on the east coast (don't remember what orch.).

I can't quite hang with the concept of Bruckner being a pre-minimalist, as there are too many disparate elements for me: German medieval music; German "gothic" music; Bach-like counterpoint; Bach-like chorales; Schubert; Wagner; Austrian laendler. For me, this is what's flawed about the finale to B8 (as well as other movements): too much reaching around to various ideas and disparate elements. That's just me.

Barry

It's funny you should mention the finale to the B8, because that would be my prime example of inspiration.  The very opening of Adams' Nixon in China reminds me of the quiet music near the end of the B8. 

I may have mentioned this before, but Skrowaczewski is doing the B8 here in St. Louis this Oct. and I think I'll go both nights. I'm psyched.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »
Just for the all the reasons that you bring up, Herr Bugala, I'm beginning to think that we should consider Bruckner's first versions of his various symphonies as being the most authentic. All this business of versions and editions gets very complicated, very quickly. I have an acquaintance who considers himself to be a Bruckner scholar - has gone over to Vienna and looked at various autographed scores, etc. - who strongly thinks that the various Schalk versions should be taken quite seriously. That's why I feel that it's sort of shame that Mahler didn't take up Bruckner's cause more strongly - he could have worked miracles with those scores. Mahler performed the Bruckner 5th several times. I'm willing to bet that he started with the basic Schalk version, and then added some of his own additions and alterations to the orchestration. I'll bet it was incredible, but we'll never know.

Anyway, all of this is why I'm quite serious when I say that perhaps what's truly needed, is some sort of hybrid version of the 8th symphony. If you look at the Oesser edition of the 3rd symphony, it's clearly the best. It's not nearly so truncated and "sanitized" as the final version of B3. Nor is it ridiculously long-winded like the first version of B3. The Oesser edition truly captures the best of both worlds. We could use something along those lines for B8, in my totally un-humble opinion.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:26:09 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
Hybrids could be fine.  I'm not a big Solti fain, but if I recall in his memoirs, he suggested doing some sort of composite of the M10. Of course, he never lived to do it. But as someone who never touched the M10 beforehand, I could appreciate him trying to "work it out" that way. 

For me, I'm inconsistent. I favor Bruckner's first thoughts on his 1st Symphony, for instance, but prefer his later thoughts on the 4th and 8th. 

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Listened to the Bruckner 5 for the second time recently, a recording of Celibidache (sorry--don't have the other info on hand)...love this work as much as the B8.  Don't have the words yet to describe my process with the work, but I'm brand spankin' new with Bruckner!

--Todd

Polarius T

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
Listened to the Bruckner 5 for the second time recently, a recording of Celibidache (sorry--don't have the other info on hand)...love this work as much as the B8.  Don't have the words yet to describe my process with the work, but I'm brand spankin' new with Bruckner!

--Todd

My favorite Bruckner symphony in fact. Try the Sinopoli/Dresden recording if you have a chance (on DG); it's nothing short of stupendous. A near-cosmic experience and to be honest that's not possible elsewhere in Bruckner without some self-suggestion. One of Sinopoli's more interesting recordings and to me maybe his most successful one (more gorgeously played & recorded than his famed B8 and the reading is very fascinating and effective, plus the work is more complete and better manageable and as such much easier to relate to). After that one becomes a Dreden fan (assuming we are all Sinopoli fans already as we should).

PT :)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »
I haven't heard the Sinopoli, but my current favorites are Barenboim/CSO/DG, Thielemann/MPO/DG, Klemperer/PO/EMI, and Karajan/BPO/DG. It is a great, monumental symphony, particularly the Finale, but only really good conductors can bring it off.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »
Thanks for the recommends everyone!

I'll be listening to more Bruckner today...oh, and I started on the F minor Mass...another "wow"  :D

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »
Bruckner's 4th is amazing (Muti/BPO/EMI)...my third time through it now...can't wait to hear the original score from 1874, after I get to know this later version.

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk