General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

two M9's coming out in early 2007 - two different Staatskapelles

(1/2) > >>

barry guerrero:
hey,

Not only are we getting a Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin M9, but Profil is coming out with a *live* Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden M9 - yipppeee! I really want to hear both of these. I've been wanting to hear Dresdeners do more Mahler.

Barry

Ben:
This is good news.  I will be looking forward to the new Barenboim M9; I'm enjoying his M7 right now very much.  I don't know much of Sinopoli's Mahler, enough that I was never very much interested.  Perhaps it's time to give it a go.

Ben

barry guerrero:
Ben,

I thought that Sinopoli's Dresden "DLvdE" was a huge improvement over the rest of his cycle - recorded with the Philharmonia - in terms of orchestral execution, and just for the timbre of the orchestra. I really want to hear them in the 9th, although the Rondo-Burlesque might not be sharp-edged enough.

John Kim:
Hello everyone!

It's really nice to your names back here.

Two M9's by world's finest orchestra- how can I miss them?

I am really looking forward to Barenboim's M9 as I really liked his recent M7.

I also liked Sinopoli's M9th on DG, although many thought it was rather uneven. I liked perculiar tempos and dynamics he chose in this piece which I think worked beautifully. Perhaps his new M9 will have more main stream approach and less quirks.

John,

mr. woodford:
i've always had a problem w/ barenboim- met the guy once, and found him a bit...distasteful, but that's just a personal observation, and not a comment on his musicianship.  the dresden orchestra has always been a fave, and i love sinopoli, so this should be a very interesting combination.  any chance it'll come out in high rez?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version