Author Topic: More Mahler on SACD  (Read 4013 times)

Offline akiralx

More Mahler on SACD
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »

Luisi's M2, though not with his Dresden band, sadly (have they done much Mahler on record?):

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4026

Offline barry guerrero

Re: More Mahler on SACD
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »
Yeah, I've seen this around. I wonder where the MDR S.O. is located, and what concert hall or church they record in?

Offline je-b

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »
The MDR Sinfonieorchester is the symphony orchestra of the "Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk" (literally "central-German Radio", but it's more accurately the local radio and TV station covering the eastern parts of Germany) and it's based in Leipzig, making it one of the two big orchestras there (alongside the much more famous Gewandhaus Orchestra). They're mostly also performing and recording at the Leipzig Gewandhaus hall.
Although I probably wouldn't quite rank them amongst the top ten of German orchestras, they certainly are not far behind and as with all German radio orchestras, their standard is of course one of highest professionalism and their recent recording projects have all been very ambitious.   
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:31 AM »
OK, next question (and thanks for the info.):  do you know if the organ is sufficient in this recording?

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk