Author Topic: M2 with Mehta from "Mahler Broadcasts" box set  (Read 3886 times)

evegoetz13

M2 with Mehta from "Mahler Broadcasts" box set
« on: June 23, 2008, 02:11:50 AM »
   Is this available SEPARATE from the box set as a CD recording? I do NOT want the MP3 download of this!  The augmented brass used for this performance, make this the BEST recording of the work I have ever heard!!! Any feedback on this would be very appreciated.

Best Regards,

Norm Cooper

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M2 with Mehta from "Mahler Broadcasts" box set
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:46:16 AM »
Norm,

I've never seen this available separately, new or used. I don't own a copy of the box (I've heard most of it), otherwise I'd happy to burn one for you. Perhaps someone else would be willing to burn you a copy. I do own burnt copies of the Tennstedt M5, and the Kubelik M7 - my two favorite items from the set. But the Mehta M2 struck me as being quite good as well.

Barry Guerrero

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
I think that John Kim considers this to be one of his favorites.  Personally, I prefer either of Mehta's Israel PO M2's over this New York one.  I just don't think that this NYPO recording captures the percussion section very well or consistently, which is a must for really me to enjoy an M2. 

Frankly, my favorite part of this boxed set is the booklet notes and the interview CD.  Those are indispensable!
Scott

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:47:21 AM »
Frankly, my favorite part of this boxed set is the booklet notes and the interview CD.  Those are indispensable!

I second that feeling. It might be anathema for some to hear, but I didn't think it was THAT great of a set (very good, yes). Maybe the sound let me down, but I held onto it for the program notes before finally selling it on ebay.  The Mehta M2 is superb though.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »
Yes, this Mehta/NYPO M2nd is really, really good, even better than his celebrated Decca recording with VPO. I also like Boulez M3rd which has the BEST ending to III. of all M3rds, Tennstedt M5th, and the Kubelik M7th. The sound in these ones is excellent.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk