Author Topic: Eschenbach/Philly hit their stride again (Tchaik. 6)  (Read 3587 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Eschenbach/Philly hit their stride again (Tchaik. 6)
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
PETER ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY
Symphony No. 6 "Pathétique"; Dumka
Christoph Eschenbach (piano)

Philadelphia Orchestra

Christoph Eschenbach

Ondine- 1121-5(SACD)
Reference Recording - Mravinsky (DG); Muti/Philharmonia (EMI); Bernstein (DG); Gergiev (Philips)

rating: 10/10

After a very good Tchaikovsky Fifth symphony and a so-so Fourth, Christoph Eschenbach and the Philadelphia Orchestra have hit a home run with the Pathétique. Like the previous editions in this cycle, this is a large-scale performance with movement durations somewhat longer than the norm. But this in no way suggests slackness on Eschenbach's part, for his is a taut and tense reading, infused with drama and passion. The first-movement development releases tremendous energy without becoming maudlin, but the biggest climax comes at the second subject's reprise, where Eschenbach milks the big tune for all its expressive power. Afterward the scherzo trips along lightly in its 5/4 meter.

The Philadelphia Orchestra plays superbly: this is the finest and most expressive playing on disc since Bernstein's enthralling (and sprawling) 1986 version with the New York Philharmonic. Philadelphia's hallmarks are all present: rich, singing strings, biting brass, and vibrant woodwinds. The percussion is excellent too--listen to the bold timpani playing in the magnificently rendered march-scherzo third movement. The finale captivates at Eschenbach's slow pace. This, along with his unapologetic evocation of the music's dark emotions, makes the ending truly tragic.

Tchaikovsky's fiery and dramatic Dumka makes a nice foil for the preceding symphony (not that you really need one), and Eschenbach demonstrates his virtuoso piano technique in this stirring reading. The recording sports high impact and wide dynamic range in both CD and SACD formats. An excellent disc, with performances that will make fans of the Ormandy/Philadelphia versions feel right at home.

--Victor Carr J

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Eschenbach/Philly hit their stride again (Tchaik. 6)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:05:52 PM »
I have to get this...

:)

--Todd

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Great to see Philly up and recording again. This sounds like one worth hearing.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I finally heard this disk last night...it is indeed a great performance...the best I've heard on record...and what a wonderful sounding recording  ;D ;D ;D

Sometimes I forget how great Tchaikovsky's sound world is...

--Todd

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
I listened to it as well. Frankly, it had been a while for me to listen a whole performance of this well deserved warhorse. Overall a great recording, wonderful sound, good tempi (quick when needed, slower, as in the finale, when benefiting the music) and the glorious Philly strings sill have it!

Worth checking out, even if you have a ton of Pathetiques or are like me and had relegated this masterpiece to the "been there, done that" pile.
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk