Author Topic: Zander M1  (Read 5442 times)

Wunderhorn

Zander M1
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »
This is one of the few M1's I've heard so far and serves me on the opposite spectrum as Bernstein/Ctgbw/DG. Zender mentions in his second 'cd' discussion that the  III 'Feierlich und gemessen' is, in his view, Mahler's most brilliant idea...? (That movement of the symphony is beautifully indeed, but he wrote many movements to 9 other symphonies after it.) The finale of Bernstein's is blown up and enraged while Zander's simply enraged, good precision to it, as with the quick second movement. I simply can't get over what Zander said about the III movement; Revolutionary as far as the Herbrew Folk Dance and the famous opening theme that Mahler changed to minor, the development of this theme is perfect, that I'll give him. All Mahler is always 110%. ;)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Zander M1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »
"as with the quick second movement"

.    .   .  those are the operative words for me - why I avoided this particular release. As I said before, I get tired of hearing the same-old Mahler first; with a scherzo that's a bit too fast to truly capture the rustic feel of the Laendler dance, and a drag-arse funeral procession that fails to capture the ironic humor behind it. For the two inner movements, I've been spoiled by Jarvi and Norrington.  But now that I've been a jerk and stated my preference, I'm sure that this a very good, "straight ahead" presentation of the work.

Offline ggl

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:31:07 PM »
Zander's M1 is now in my stack of CDs to be brought to a store as trade-ins.  It seems well-recorded, and as far as I (a non-musician) can tell, is well-played.  But it lacks, in my view, rhythmic vitality  -- it doesn't swing (or rock, if you prefer).  Instead, it seems clean, antiseptic, and inert. 

I much prefer the Kubelik/DG version; I also like Tennstedt's live recording with the London Philharmonic; both seem to pulse with vitality.  And I would never trade in the Giulini/Chicago recording of M1, which feels slower, and more stately, even grand.

My spouse, in her former corporate job, had to attend a presentation by Zander in his role as motivational speaker.  She found him pompous and simplistic.  I did not listen to the discussion disc.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:42:02 PM by ggl »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:02:49 AM »
And I would never trade in the Giulini/Chicago recording of M1, which feels slower, and more stately, even grand.

My spouse, in her former corporate job, had to attend a presentation by Zander in his role as motivational speaker.  She found him pompous and simplistic.  I did not listen to the discussion disc.

Thanks for the heads up on the Giulini M1...sounds like something I would dig.

As for Zander's discussion disks, I really like the ones I've heard (M5, M6 and M9)...they're good for relaxing with a cup of tea or something. 

"Telarc records presents...Tea time with Benjamin Zander" :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:05:17 AM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:03:13 AM »
I really like the Giulini as well. It's my favorite of the various Chicago Symphony M1's - none of which are bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk