Author Topic: David Robertson  (Read 10523 times)

Offline akiralx

David Robertson
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:29 AM »

i was very impressed with his Proms concert last night with the BBC SO, of Elliott Carter's Clarinet Concerto and Beethoven's Fifth - especially the latter. 

Has he conducted/recorded much Mahler?

Offline barry guerrero

Re: David Robertson
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:28:33 AM »
Roberson has definitely performed Mahler. In America, most everybody HAS to perform Mahler. I'm sure that's pretty much true everywhere now. But no, there are no commercial recordings of him doing Mahler.

Barry

Offline alpsman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
most everybody HAS to perform Mahler. I'm sure that's pretty much true everywhere now.

Now this is a very good issue so I am going to start a new-and I think and wish-very hot topic.

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »
There is a M9 on tap with St Louis this fall. Robertson is a fine conductor, he will lead a major orchestra someday soon. He has jump started St Louis after a few years in the doldrums.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »
Let's hope he stays put!  ;D  I'd miss him.  Hopefully, the Big Five will ignore him because of his love of unusual programs/modern music. But he certainly deserves the best possible match. I'd like to hope that would be here. The players seem to love him.

I heard him do a pretty good Mahler 2 and Das Lied von der Erde. If they weren't perfect, it was probably because of me having pretty insane standards with them. The Mahler 2 had the best climax before the last offstage portion in Mov V.  Some parts barely shock me anymore in Mahler, but this was an "Oh My God, Moment." To have that loud passage followed by that comforting music of solace, and that ethereal offstage music was great.

As far as I know, he hasn't recorded any Mahler, but he has recorded the Carter Clarinet Concerto. He and the SLSO will be doing some more music available for download. It's a long shot, but maybe some Mahler will be one of the releases.   

I'll report on his M9, first...unless there are some other St. Louisans in attendance who post here. (Plus, who knows, maybe Don will make the trip from KC.) 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:25:36 AM by sbugala »

Offline Don

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »
Ya never know, but I will be there for the Skrowaczewski Bruckner 8th!
M10 Fanatic!

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
There is a M9 on tap with St Louis this fall. Robertson is a fine conductor, he will lead a major orchestra someday soon. He has jump started St Louis after a few years in the doldrums.

Do you know the dates of the M9 concerts?  Southwest Airlines usually has pretty affordable flights between Houston and St. Louis.  I assume that it's as easy to get good tix in St. Louis as it is in Houston (i.e. compared to Chicago, NY or Philly). 
Scott

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:20 PM »
Friday, November 21, 2008 at 8pm
Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 8pm

David Robertson, conductor
Pinchas Zukerman, viola

BARTÓK Viola Concerto
MAHLER Symphony No. 9

www.slso.org

Tickets should be available. Even thought things are looking up, classical isn't exactly the hottest ticket in town.  Still, since it's only two concert dates, they may not be as available. You've got plenty of time, after single tickets go on sale, I should think.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:07:56 AM »
he hasn't recorded any Mahler, but he has recorded the Carter Clarinet Concerto

No thanks. I'll just listen to Eric Dolphy instead. I'm sure that Dolphy and the Carter Clar. Cto. sound pretty much alike.

By the way, I really, REALLY like the Bartok viola concerto. I think that's a pretty decent piece of music to put with M9. Have fun.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:20:40 AM »
Oh believe me, the Carter data was just an FYI. I only have the disc for the Adams discmate, Gnarly Buttons.  With a few exceptions, I just can't get into Carter much. I certainly admire the fact he's still composing. I hope to grasp more of his stuff. But unlike most modern music that I embrace, I have a tough time absorbing Carter.

I'm looking forward to the Bartok, too.  But it seems like that's going to be ONE LONG CONCERT!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:38:04 AM »
But unlike most modern music that I embrace, I have a tough time absorbing Carter.

Rather than trying to blot-up Carter with your expensive paper towels, I would suggest using a squeegy, and pushing your Carter mess right into the backyard. Let it dry out in the sun for a few days. The stench will dissipate quickly.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »

Actually I found the Carter Clarinet Concerto quite pleasant, similar to Boulez's '...explosante - fixe...' (that has a solo flute) but more approachable.  And shorter...

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »
Seriously, I really don't anything that much against Elliott Carter. He does take some effort, most of the time.

Barry

Polarius T

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »
I have a tough time absorbing Carter.

Go backwards: start from the later (and in his case this means really late: those he's composed in the last 10 years or so, after turning 90...) works, they are more lyrical or "melodious" and not quite so dense. And at the beginning stick with the chamber works: Carter's compositions are unbelievably dense and the more instruments involved, the tougher they are to really follow. Some of the former can also be quite beautiful, such as for instance found on this CD (very good performances, too):

State-of-the-art sound to boot. There's also a DVD version of this, in at least equally impressive if not even better sound IIRC (no longer have a DVD player at home) and fascinating extra materials added. A top classical-music video recommendation for me.

Or just wait for the next issue from his indefatigable ink pen!

-PT
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:00:57 PM by Polarius T »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
Looks like the Bartok is off the Mahler 9 program in St. Louis:

Mahler 9

ORCHESTRAL SERIES

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 8pm
Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 8pm

David Robertson, conductor
Guest artist to be announced

MOZART concerto to be announced
MAHLER Symphony No. 9

I really don't know why they want to put anything else with the Mahler 9th. But I know I'll be getting my money's worth for playing time...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk