Author Topic: OT: a new Naxos Brahms 3rd receives a 10/10 (Alsop)  (Read 14749 times)

BorisG

Re: OT: a new Naxos Brahms 3rd receives a 10/10 (Alsop)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 09:07:32 PM »
Boris,

In all do respect, I had no idea - and still have no idea - what you are driving at. Are you implying that there's some shortcoming in Brahms recordings from Wand, Walter, Dohnanyi, and Levine? Are you possibly implying that this couldn't be great because it comes from a budget label? That it couldn't be great, because it's conducted by an up-start woman? That Hurwitz is wrong because he doesn't see it your way? Do you really believe that there's a such a thing as a "Naxos 10/10 quota" at Classicstoday? How are we to interpret what you spout off? I can assure you, there is no such thing as a 10/10 quota for any label with Classicstoday? Second, I'm far more likely to believe that D.H.'s 10/10 review is closer to the truth than your out-of-hand dismissal of something that - once again - you haven't listened to.

Am I angry? Yes, I suppose I am - I get angered when someone perpetually dismisses items that they themselves haven't listened to; especially when those dismissals aren't expressed in terms of having doubts, but in terms of being an absolute truth. That's called not listening, in more ways than one. I wouldn't expect you to cling on to what D.H. says here. But conversely, why would expect you me to take a liking to your out-of-hand dismissal with this preposterous beauty: "Or, maybe it's the Naxos 10/10 quota that needs bumping"? You can make any observation about me that you want, but this much I will always promise you, or anyone else:  I don't dismiss or pump-up recordings that I haven't heard - period.

Just remember, it is never too late to have your Hurwitz umbilical cord cut.

Hey Boris, whats with the attitude? 

:o

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 11:22:23 PM »
I asked the question on the previous GM Board if Hurwitz was part-owner, since so many of his reviews appeared there. Nothing's changed. If you do not like the criticism of that, that is fine, but the criticism is not going to change as long as such narrow scope of reasoning is present. Of which you ironically accuse me of. I suggest you and your apparent sidelick bolster your glass houses.

As I stated in my previous post, ALL reviews of Mahler performances (CD's, DVD's, live performances, etc.) are welcome here.   If you find other reviews that you would like to paste into a thread, or would like to post your own personal review, please do so. 

I am taking issue with your general and/or veiled put-downs.  Do you not see the distinction between offering specific criticism and throwing out an insult? 
Scott

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 03:36:09 AM »
I fear that some people just never really "get it," Scott. There is a basic netiquette that has been in existence since the beginnings of the internet -- it is fine to disagree and argue, even vehemently, with content, but it is never, ever appropriate to attack people. I don't always agree with Hurwitz, and I never hesitate to say so. But I do not condemn others for agreeing with him or posting his reviews.

Boris, if you disagree with the content of Hurwitz's review, feel free to counter with your own review or the points on which you disagree with him. I am not the moderator here, but I think it is out of line to attack other members. If you don't want to read reviews by Hurwitz, well ... don't read them! No one is forcing you to. If you prefer reviews by someone else, well ... post them! We may or may not agree with them, but we will not attack YOU for posting them.

It is a distinction of common courtesy, Boris.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:43:05 AM by Amphissa »
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 08:10:17 AM »
Boris,

I was perfectly transparent in any previous inquiries regarding David Hurwitz. He is one of my best friends; I've known him for several decades - long before he ever thought of starting Classicstoday. It isn't his main source of income (far from it), and there are no monies being exchanged here what-so-ever. In fact, we live on opposite ends of the country now. I have nothing to do with Classicstoday.com. at this point. Conversely, D.H. has nothing to do with this site. For the most part, D.H. and I do have a similar outlook on orchestral music, and share similar tastes. I have disagreed with him in the past, but it is a rare occurance. Currently, I don't share his thoroughly negative opinion of the Norrington Mahler recordings. On that particular issue, you're more a kindred spirit with him than I - even though you actually haven't heard them. I've been pleasantly surprised by them, and find them quite interesting to listen to. Anyway, if it bothers you that I'm friends with D.H., or that I share many of the same opinions that he has, that's too bad! As I've said before, if you don't like what I write, don't read it! I like to post reviews of Naxos items because they're often times quite good, as well as being budget priced. Given your great interest in on-line rips of live performances, I'm sure you can appreciate inexpensive issues. Obviously, there are others here who seem perfectly glad that I had posted this particular Hurwitz review. You, yourself, chimed in quite positively about the Penderecki review. But what is even more ironic, is that there was absolutely no need for you to attack this review at all:  I happen to share you enthusiasm for Brahms recordings conducted by Klemperer, Bohm, and Karajan (although, Karajan always left out the expo. repeat in Brahms 3). Frankly, Hurwitz likes those as well, particularly Klemperer, for whom he has a strong admiration for.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:58:57 AM by barry guerrero »

Wunderhorn

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
It is one of the hardest things to be a critic, as opinions are opinions, and they must try to generalize the best they can, quite daunting. I ended up buying this recording at Barnes and Noble, it was too cheap to pass up, plus Haydn Variations is one of my favorites.

Wunderhorn

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 03:49:25 PM »
Mistake, it was actually Szell's classic recording of Brahms' 1st which I ordered... :P

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 03:50:37 PM »
It is one of the hardest things to be a critic, as opinions are opinions, and they must try to generalize the best they can, quite daunting. I ended up buying this recording at Barnes and Noble, it was too cheap to pass up, plus Haydn Variations is one of my favorites.

Tell us what you think...I'm going to get it soon too.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »

Funny, I went to BN with the intention of getting either this one or the Tennstedt M4/M8 combo using a xmas gift card.  They did not have either in stock, but they did have the Solti/CSO/Brahms symphony set, which I have always wanted -- so I bought it instead!
Scott

Wunderhorn

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »
I bought the Szell B1, I forgot which one I purchased ??? I also had a giftcard. I loath their selection sometimes; You can find rare things there often, but sometimes famous recordings simply aren't there >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk