Author Topic: Haitink live Christmas M1  (Read 4504 times)

Offline akiralx

Haitink live Christmas M1
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »

I listened to this yesterday in the car - I'm not sure it hasn't gone to near the top of my favourites list for M1 alongside Bernstein DG with the same orchestra, SFSO/MTT and BPO/Abbado - all live which I guess could be significant.

The playing on the Haitink is really intense with the brass superbly caught,amazing quality bearing in mind I doubt there was any patching later.  Superbly vivid sound as well, perhaps the presence of an audience improves even the Concertgebouw acoustic.  Maybe I should reconsider my decision not to get the cycle on DVD...

BorisG

Re: Haitink live Christmas M1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:38:36 PM »

I listened to this yesterday in the car - I'm not sure it hasn't gone to near the top of my favourites list for M1 alongside Bernstein DG with the same orchestra, SFSO/MTT and BPO/Abbado - all live which I guess could be significant.

The playing on the Haitink is really intense with the brass superbly caught,amazing quality bearing in mind I doubt there was any patching later.  Superbly vivid sound as well, perhaps the presence of an audience improves even the Concertgebouw acoustic.  Maybe I should reconsider my decision not to get the cycle on DVD...

Yes you should, and refasten your seatbelt for Mahler 3.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Haitink live Christmas M1
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:20:52 PM »
Haitink's second studio recording of M1, which was done in the late analog era, is also really good. If I recall correctly, his first one left out the expo. repeat. He did a third one with the BPO, which I didn't think sounded nearly as good.

BArry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk