Author Topic: Klemperer recordings.  (Read 24369 times)

Offline oscar

Klemperer recordings.
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »
I am interested to know the views of this list about the better recordings of Otto Klemperer, both Mahler and other composers.

best regards,

Oscar.

Offline Don

Re: Klemperer recordings.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »
There are two Klemperer recordings I can not live without:

Mahler 2nd Philharmonia Orchestra with Elizabeth Schwarzkopf  EMI 67255
Beethoven Fidelio w/Ludwig, Vickers, Barry and Frick Philharmonia EMI 67361-2 from 1962.

I am not sure if these are the most current iterations, but are the ones in my collection.

Both are monumental and powerful.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline stillivor

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:50:33 AM »
An intriguing Bruckner 4 that starts pretty quickly, and a fascinating Tchaikovsky 4 (from memory), where he demonstrates the musical quality.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:31:06 AM »
I would say that pretty much everything Klemperer recorded for EMI is worth hearing at least once, with the possible exception of his bizarrely slow Mahler 7. His Bruckner 8 has cuts in the finale, which doesn't bother me worth in the least. I truly like his complete rewrite of the ending to Mendelssohn's "Scotch" symphony (#3) . Klemp. cuts out the hoakie sounding chorale altogether, and ends the work with a quiet chord in minor. To me, it's a huge improvement. Seriously.

Klemperer was a great conductor who should be taken more seriously by the historical buffs. His Bruckner 5 and 6 are essential listening.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:50:12 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline david johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »
klemperer m2's all the way!
i also enjoy the beethoven box he has on emi.

dj

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
I don't have whole lot of Klemperer recordings but I know the following are pretty darn good:

B5th
B6th
M2nd
DLVDE
M9th (with VPO, live)
Brahms Requiem
a couple of Mozart symphonies
a couple of Beethoven symphonies

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »

His excellent late Haydn symphonies have just been reissued on EMI.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »
It's all good! Just avoid the very excessively slow M7 - unless in you're in the mood for such a thing, of course - as well his Bruckner 8, assuming that you don't want to hear any cuts in the finale (doesn't bother me, I have to say).

About the finale of B8, regardless of which edition one is using, I would drop the final sounding of that weird brass chorale for the Wagner tubas, just before the coda. It just doesn't belong there.

Barry

Offline Dave H

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »
The Haydn set is wonderful, save for the very late recordings, when he was practically dead but still (theoretically) conducting. Also worth hearing--and recordings you might not expect:

Schubert 8 and 9
Dvorak New World Symphony
Berlioz Symphony fantastique
Tchaikovsky Fifth (one of the truly great ones)
Brahms Symphonies (one of the great cycles, esp for Nos. 1 and 3)
Beethoven Syms 3, 5, 6 and 9
Flying Dutchman
Magic Flute
Wagner Overtures and Preludes (on EMI)
Schumann Symphonies (except the Rhenish, which was the famous recording session where woke up a snooze and asked "How did it go")
Bruckner 6 (which Barry mentioned--the best one?), and 7 (also already mentioned)

Dave H

klingsor

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »

To me, the great Klemperers are:

Mahler: 2 and 9 (a devastating first movement, imho, the single greatest thing K ever put on record), Das Lied (the next greatest thing K ever did). I pretty much agree that Klemperer's studio recordings are all worth hearing at least once. And that does include the Mahler 7--you simply have to hear it to believe it was ever made....some of the oddest tempo choices I have ever heard.
Dvorak: New World Sym --very powerful
Berlioz: Sym Fantastique --amazing clarity and drama--plus a Gluck "Iphigenie en Aulide" overture that will blow your mind
Bruckner: 4-9, they are all good, especially a beauiful 7, and I welcome edits in the finale of 8
Brahms: I like all 4 Syms by him, plus overtures, etc, Violin Concerto, German Requiem (a GREAT recording)
Mozart: the late symphonies (I have not heard the Haydns), Magic Flute, Overtures with Masonic Funeral
Beethoven: Fidelio, Symphonies, Overtures (a stunning collection CD of those), Violin Concerto
Romantic Overtures: Weber (3), Humperdinck, and Klemp's own "Merry Waltz" --solid performances
Mendelssohn: Sym 3 & 4, Midsummer Night's Dream --not the infamous "brontosaurian romp" it's made out to be  :o
Schubert; Sym 5 & 8
Schumann: Syms 1-4, Manfred Overture
Wagner: Flying Dutchman, orch music collections--all great. (If only he had recorded Parsifal...)

Baroque composer recording are worth hearing, but none really satisfies me, and performance practice has surpassed them

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:01:49 PM by klingsor »

Listener X

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »
You'll never hear Brahms 3 the same way after you hear Klemp's, the standard-setter for this piece.

Offline perotin

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:29:54 AM by death.or.glory »

Offline consul

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:42 PM »
Klemperer was obviously one of the great conductors of the 20th century. I do, however, feel that the age of recording came just a little late for him. Clearly some of his recordings were marred by physical limitations. Just watch the videos on youtube of his conducting: he seems at the end of his strength. I absolutely mean no disrespect to the legend that he rightfully is.

Favorite recordings: Mahler: 2 & 4.

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
Some of my favorite recordings are conducted by Klemperer:  Fidelio, Das Lied von der Erde, Kleine Dreigroschenmusik.

db

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk