Author Topic: Wagner is really getting to me.  (Read 18481 times)

Offline waderice

Re: Wagner is really getting to me.
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »
If anybody has any other instrumental Wagner suggestions - possibly off the beaten path (i own the popular overtures, interludes, etc) - feel free to share the wealth. Thanks.

I don't know if you're equipped to play LP records or open reel tapes, but back in the 'sixties, there were numerous stereo albums released by most of the mainstream conductors that contained Wagner overtures and what people called "bleeding chunks" of popular excerpts from Wagner operas.  Many were released on what then was Columbia Masterworks, which is now owned by Sony.  Conductors featured were Walter, Ormandy, Bernstein, and Szell for that label, and there were numerous Europe-recorded albums released on EMI featuring Klemperer, Karajan, and later, DG, with both Karajan, Bohm, and a few others.  Probably my favorite were the three Wagner albums recorded by George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra, which were later combined into one three-LP boxed set, and which also saw open-reel issuances.  There have been many other such albums by other conductors, but the names I mention were probably those that had the most complete coverage of such repertoire.  There have been scattered releases of some of these conductors and their Wagner material on CD in later years, many featured as "Greatest Hits" albums.

I remember very well a Wagner concert I attended back in the 'seventies that featured these "bleeding chunks" by Antal Dorati and the National Symphony of Washington, DC.  The first half of that concert featured early and non-Ring Wagner material; the second half featured Ring excerpts which were later recorded as a Decca/London LP release, and which I think has since been released on CD.  I still have the LP of this material.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:21:26 AM by waderice »

Offline waderice

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
I've been listening to Wagner for about 20 years, to Mahler for about 10.  I occasionally pull out a score, but I'm a musical amateur and lack the analytical chops of many on this board.

Both composers "get to me."  And for similar reasons:  the ideas are huge, the insights profound, the details are super-fine, and the music is always beautiful.  If I were to go to a dessert island, both composers would have to go with me.

But let's face it, they're both long-winded.  Wagner's operas are double-long, and so are Mahler's symphonies.  I'm willing to put in the time because ultimately it's worth it.  

I'm afraid I'm about to speak a heresy here, so apoligies in advance, but here goes:  although Wagner is terribly long-winded, Mahler has a flaw that I don't see in Wagner, since Wagner continually develops his themes, moving forward, however slowly.  But Mahler has the flaw of REPETITIVENESS which I find less forgivable.  For instance in the first movmement of the Third (M3), I feel like I go on a long journey with Mahler and then when we've come through the mud into a better place, we're just back in the mud.  I haven't looked at the score, but I'd swear there are repeat signs in there.  What's up with that?  Necessary?

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts, since I've learned a lot here, and what I've learned has really enriched my appreciation of Mahler.

db

One of the most pitiful stories I've ever heard about an individual's introduction to Wagner came from my wife.  She had a professional mentor years ago in the early part of her career who was also an opera nut.  While she was working in downtown Chicago, her mentor took her to a Chicago Lyric Opera production of Siegfried - that's about as extreme as it gets to introduce a novice to Wagner! ;D ::) :'( :o

One thing that has helped me maintain an interest in Wagner is that I took German many years ago, and have tried to maintain some familiarity with it by listening to Wagnerian opera, without having to travel to Germany.  Some familiarity with the language will help in getting through the lengthy portions of the operas.  Also, study the synopses describing the action (or lack thereof) that accompany libretti of the operas.  The more you read, study, and listen, the easier it eventually becomes to digest what's going on.  Opera nuts have been doing this for years, they know the operas by heart, and they know who sounds good at this particular spot in the opera, etc., etc. ::)

I might suggest one section of a Wagner opera that may sustain your interest for about the last third of its first act:  That of the Transformation Music and Grail Hall Scene from "Parsifal".  This is quite magisterial music that Wagner skillfully develops into what is to my ears, essentially a 45-minute tone poem.  The orchestra plays a significant part in this section, though the voices of the Grail knights and the voices on high add considerable effect as well.  Though solemn, you will not find much grander and sublime music elsewhere.  The last scene of the third act is even more solemn and gloomier, but the closing minutes of the opera are absolutely sublime.

Note that many epic movie soundtracks, such as that of "Ben-Hur" (composed by Miklos Rosza) rely on the heavy use of leitmotiv (or signature themes) in their works, the same tool which Wagner introduced and employed in his operas.  This is one instance of how Wagner not only influenced subsequent composers' music, but how he also influenced Hollywood - many of Hollywood's lengthy epic movies are around four hours - the same length of the majority of Wagner's operas.

While on the subject of leitmotiv - there is an excellent album that appeared shortly after the Solti Ring was released, titled "An Introduction to Wagner's Ring".  This was a three-record set that featured commentary by both Wagner and Mahler scholar Deryck Cooke, along with musical examples from the Solti recordings illustrating the leitmotives.  I think this was later released on CD, but might be hard to find.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:17:07 AM by waderice »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
While on the subject of leitmotiv - there is an excellent album that appeared shortly after the Solti Ring was released, titled "An Introduction to Wagner's Ring".  This was a three-record set that featured commentary by both Wagner and Mahler scholar Deryck Cooke, along with musical examples from the Solti recordings illustrating the leitmotives.  I think this was later released on CD, but might be hard to find.

Yes, indeed, Deryck Cooke's An Introduction to Der Ring des Nibelungen is a great resource. The two-CD set is still available new from Amazon for around $20.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Ring-Nibelungen-Deryck-Cooke/dp/B00000424H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283099662&sr=1-1

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:55 PM »

My favorite music of the cycle is the sound of the Rhine, at the beginning of Das Rheingold...sublime music...love how it leads into the Rheinmaiden's voices.

--Todd

Do you mean the opening movement (Vorspiel) into "Weia! Waga..." ?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 03:48:45 AM »
"OK. First I find it humorous folks find Wagner too long yet Mahler is their favorite composer"

Huh? Do the math. The entire third symphony probably isn't a whole lot longer than just the prologue to "Gotterdaemerrung". Even if it were, it's still a LOT more action packed. That doesn't mean that I don't like Gotterdaemerrung, but the last act is certainly the best one, I think.

Wagner was a truly great composer - an invaluable inspiration to Mahler - who just also badly needed an editor.

Offline mahler09

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
I think that a lot of it has to do with opera being visual and musical but I haven't quite gotten into it, or Wagner, yet.  I have tried to take out a few cd boxes of operas from my library.  Any suggestions on where to start?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
"Meistersinger" is great, but it's awfully long. Try "Meistersinger", but just one act at a time. "Tristan" is fabulous, and was a huge favorite of Mahler. Of the four "Ring" operas, I actually like "Siegfried" the best. "Rheingold" is the shortest of the four.

Offline waderice

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
Since "Rheingold" is the shortest of the ones Barry mentions, it will likely hold your attention the best of the four, as the action isn't as static as in the other longer operas.

Wade

Offline mahler09

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
Do they have subtitles? 

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll try checking out some from my library.  The one piece by Wagner that I am pretty familiar with is his "Siegfried Idyll" because I've heard at a concert before. 

Offline waderice

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
Do they have subtitles?

If you intend to check out videos, yes, they should.  In the case of audio CD recordings, you meant to ask, is there a text with translation included with the recording, otherwise known as a libretto?  Unless the library copies you check out have lost the enclosed booklet containing notes to the opera and the libretto, the answer is yes.

Videos obviously provide sight as well as sound.  But the more experienced you become in listening to Wagnerian opera, you should eventually "graduate" to not needing the "sight", but only the sound.  What I'm trying to say, is that the better modern Wagner opera recordings (mostly studio) generally were made pre-1970, and the best live recorded Wagner performances were generally made pre-1960.  Generally, the best Wagner "live" performances came from the shrine of Wagnerian performance, that of Bayreuth in Germany, at the Wagner Theatre, but there are exceptions.  Experienced opera listeners generally prefer live recorded performances over studio recordings; at least, those listeners who prefer the pre-1960 recordings.  Why?  Because for the most part, the most knowledgeable and thoroughly-experienced conductors and singers from the pre-1960 era were generally considered the best and consistently delivered the best possible performances.  The names are too numerous to go into here.

Wade
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:39:56 PM by waderice »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk