Author Topic: New Levine/BSO M6  (Read 14850 times)

Offline Russell

New Levine/BSO M6
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
The Boston Symphony is releasing new recordings again, this time under its own label.  (Click link below.)  Among the first 4 new releases is a 'live' Levine M6, available as a download only (with a hi-res option).  All of their recordings will be available as downloads; some will be released on SACD as well. (I guess they thought the SACD market was oversaturated with M6s???)  Anyone here familiar with this performance?

http://www.bso.org/bso/mods/c_09_gen_images.jsp;jsessionid=TPSPJPV12BGL4CTFQMGSFEQ?id=36700016

Here's the direct link to the M6 (with timings):

http://www.bso.org/bso/shop/audioDetail.jsp?pid=prod3190035&area=&id=bcat13360032

Russell
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:38:16 PM by Russell »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: New Levine/BSO M6
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:56:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.  I've purchased downloads from the Philly and Milwaukee orchestras in the past.  I look forward to the Boston ones. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »
Those timings are nearly identical to Ozawa's! Anyway, I wish they would make Levine's BSO M8 available. I guess there's always too many mouths to feed with the 8th.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:56:11 AM »
Actually, these timings look very much similar to Levine's earlier recording with LSO on RCA.

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »

I'll probably download this M6 as over the last few months I've been rediscovering Levine, and realising that just about every recording I've got from him has been nigh-on top notch: Wagner, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Dvorak, Saint Saens, Beethoven...

I have a few of his old Mahler recordings though accept he'll have got a little slower since then.

The mp3 files will be at 320kbps by the way, I've found that info on the site.

Has he ever recorded (or even performed) Bruckner?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »
I have a live BSO concert recording of M3rd conducted by Levine. It is absolutely magnificent in its sheer scale and power in brining out all the musical and emotional contents. The finale lasted nearly 30 min. but never sounded dragging or elaborated. It flowed so naturally and yet was full of power. I'd like to hear him conduct Mahler Ninth with BSO someday.

John,

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »
I have enjoyed the first Mahler semi-cycle from Mr. Levine with various orchestras. Would like to buy his download but need someone's help.

I use a Mac and am used to downloading AIFF files. How would I convert this WMA so I can play it? Or, does an application such as ITunes convert it automatically?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Russell

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »
I have enjoyed the first Mahler semi-cycle from Mr. Levine with various orchestras. Would like to buy his download but need someone's help.

I use a Mac and am used to downloading AIFF files. How would I convert this WMA so I can play it? Or, does an application such as ITunes convert it automatically?

Thanks for your help.

Click below to see a similar post I made on the Audio Asylum forum, and the response from Bob Stern.  I haven't tried either of his suggested solutions yet, though...

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/25/253666.html

Russell

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:18 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on this Russell!  :D

--Todd

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
I'm a PC/Windows user and decided to download the WMA Lossess 5.1 files, hoping that I had some piece of equipment with which to play these files.  First, let me point out that the WMA lossless files indeed show up on my computer as "Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless VBR Quality 100, 88 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass VBR" -- these are some big files at a total download of 3.65GB! Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to hear the files in their native multi-channel format (I previously had multi-channel analog outs from my home computer to my receiver -- but no longer).   

I can use Windows Media Player (WMP) to play the files as 2-channel, but am not certain how the 5.1 channels are folded down to 2 channnels (or if it is just taking the front left/right channels).   WMP can also burn the files to CD -- but with the same questions/limitations as above.  I question the conversion because the performance seems to really lack any bass drum.  I am wondering if anyone has had a different experience?  Has anyone either dowloaded the 2-channel MP3 or have the capability to play the 5.1 channels.  If so, is there a bass drum in the performance? 

As an FYI, I used JRiver Media player to convert the files to multi-channel .wav format and still do not have a piece of equipment to play the files.  I've unsuccessfully tried my Oppo 980DVD player and Denon 3808 receiver -- both can play WMA and .wav files, just not lossless 5.1.  I may try to find a software that can convert the lossless 5.1 files to DVD format. 
Scott

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:31 AM »
Why don't the good folks at the BSO realize that FLAC is the way to go (rhyme totally unintended).

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »
Why didn't they release the Levine M6th in SACD format??

If there is any piece of music that needs to be heard in this format it must be Mahler's Sixth Symphony, isn't it?

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »
Why didn't they release the Levine M6th in SACD format??

If there is any piece of music that needs to be heard in this format it must be Mahler's Sixth Symphony, isn't it?

John,

I'm guessing that the BSO figured that there are already too many M6s on SACD now:

Tilson Thomas (SFS)
Fischer (Channel)
Zander (Telarc)
Haitink (CSO)
Zinman (RCA)
Ashkenazy (Exton)
Bernstein/NY (Sony Japan)
Eschenbach (Ondine)
Abbado (DG)
Gergiev (LSO)
Jansons (RCO)

(Did I forget any?  :) )  Still, I would've liked to have the Levine on SACD.....

Russell

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »
Why don't the good folks at the BSO realize that FLAC is the way to go (rhyme totally unintended).

Well the WMA lossless should be functionally identical to FLAC lossless files. I even think that FLAC may be capable of 5.1 channels.  My problem is that I do not like the sound of the "folded" 2 channels -- at least in terms of what I perceive to be missing low frequency (i.e. bass drum).   The rest of the sound is very good.   I would be having the same issue/question/problem with a FLAC 5.1 file, since I do not have analog outs on my PC. 
Scott

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 02:19:27 AM »
Please correct me if I am wrong but:

Unless the file has a mixed-down stereo version, then there WOULD be sonic information missing (bass drum?) if 5.1 is listened to in stereo only. No? Most SACD/Hybrids contain the "regular" version, the SACD version (that's playable on machines that can read it), and a 5.1 version (could be Dolby Digital).

The BSO high-rez downloads appear only to be 5.1 versions. From the site..."you must have a device capable of playing back surround sound audio. If you do not, the audio will only play back the front-two left/right channels." No DSD stereo mix-downs seem to be available.

It would be wise for companies, orchestras, to forget the manufacture of hard media like CDs, SACDs and others, downloads (but at a fair prices and non DRM) will be the future. If one wants a hard copy, burn it. Although I am not totally comfortable with this futuristic outlook—I still enjoy cleaning and playing vinyl, reading program notes in LARGE type, and yes, also feasting on all the new music available on CDs and SACDs—the enormous quality (if not quantity yet) of high-rez downloads available when you want them, appears to be the next big wave. If more companies like HDTracks and Linn Recordings appear and prosper, the prices could also become more competitive. The latter 2 companies' downloads are outstanding although there isn't much yet that catches my fancy. By the way, you can now buy some of the CSO Resound downloads at HDTracks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:27:36 AM by vvrinc »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk