Author Topic: New Levine/BSO M6  (Read 14849 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: New Levine/BSO M6
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
Please correct me if I am wrong but:

Unless the file has a mixed-down stereo version, then there WOULD be sonic information missing (bass drum?) if 5.1 is listened to in stereo only. No? Most SACD/Hybrids contain the "regular" version, the SACD version (that's playable on machines that can read it), and a 5.1 version (could be Dolby Digital).

The BSO high-rez downloads appear only to be 5.1 versions. From the site..."you must have a device capable of playing back surround sound audio. If you do not, the audio will only play back the front-two left/right channels." No DSD stereo mix-downs seem to be available.

Yes, the quote from the BSO site is what has me wondering about this in the first place (as opposed to my making an outright claim that the sound is poor).  I have no experience with these lossless 5.1 computer files, but I was able to burn a CD using Windows Media Player.  WMP sees these files as 5.1, so I'm not certain what it does with all the data when writing to CD (i.e. the 3.1 not included in 2.0 channel stereo).   It sure SOUNDS like it is just taking 2.0 channels, while ignoring the rest.  I'm really surprised that WMP does not have some built-in fold-down logic, similar to what is built into the DVD-A spec.  IIRC, multi-channel DVD-A discs (unlike most multichannel SACD) do not have a separate 2 channel stereo mix encoded on the discs themselves.  Instead, the players have 2-channel fold-down logic built into them. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »
So here's my suggestion, don't buy it! The timings are nearly identical to Ozawa's Philips recording, AND Levine's earlier LSO one (although, I think the slow movement was a tad longer).

Barry

michaelw

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 07:29:54 PM »
So here's my suggestion, don't buy it! The timings are nearly identical to Ozawa's Philips recording, AND Levine's earlier LSO one (although, I think the slow movement was a tad longer).

Barry

Hello,

I have purchased this as MP3 (320 quality is fairly good) and - not knowing the older recording, cannot even find it - I must say, that I like this very much. After hearing some M6's on the slower side recently (Zinman, Darlington), this M6 "feels" quicker than the timings indicate. Moreover, I like the brass and also the percussion very much.
This is a recording I really wanted to listen to again.

Regarding the format issue, I found, that 5.1. test files from the internet work on my iMac directly (these kind of tests, "front right", "rear back", etc. ). However, such files are opened with Quicktime, not in iTunes.

I have downloaded some lossless (stereo) WMA files from LinnRecords and could easily convert them to all other formats using iTunes on Windows, whereas on the Mac I have a tool for FLAC files.

Anyway, I cannot understand, why BSO uses this format and does not offer FLAC and WMA lossless as Linn does.

Best

Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
"Anyway, I cannot understand, why BSO uses this format and does not offer FLAC and WMA lossless as Linn does."

That's why I said what I said.

Barry

Offline Russell

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »
The BSO has just added two new hi-rez (88.2/24) stereo options to their download formats: AIFF and WMA.  Prior to this, their only stereo option was 320mbps MP3.  I already downloaded the MP3 version of the M6, but would much rather have downloaded the hi-rez file had the choice been available at the time.  (And it's only $1 more!)  Oh well....

FWIW, I've only listened to the first 3 movements of Levine's M6 and was definitely NOT impressed.  Not bad at all really, but nothing special--I don't feel very compelled to listen to the final movement, though I know I should.  By contrast, I was MUCH more favorably impressed with the Gatti/ONF M6 download, and I'm anxious to listen to it again to see if my first impressions still hold.

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 05:05:19 PM »
"I was MUCH more favorably impressed with the Gatti/ONF M6 download"

Gatti's N.Y. Phil. performance of Mahler 6 caused quite a sensation. I think that was less than a decade ago.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:28:43 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »
By contrast, I was MUCH more favorably impressed with the Gatti/ONF M6 download, ...
Russell

Do you have a link to this download? 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 05:28:29 AM »
"I was MUCH more favorably impressed with the Gatti/ONF M6 download"

Gatti's N.Y. Phil. performance of Mahler 6 caused quite a sensation. I think that was less than a decade ago.

Barry
I have a live Gatti M9th recording with an Italian orchestra. It is quite an intense and personal reading that could be also viewed as 'controversial', whatever it means.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 07:32:13 AM »
By contrast, I was MUCH more favorably impressed with the Gatti/ONF M6 download, ...
Russell

Do you have a link to this download? 

I got it from iTunes.  It's part of the live 'Decca Concerts' series; here's a link to the page on Decca's site:

http://www.decca.com/deccaconcerts/releases.htm

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
I finally acquired the Levine and Gatti M6ths.

I really liked the Levine. It's similar to his hyper charged recording with LSO back in the late 70's. But with help from the superlative playing by BSO Levine is able to imbue subtleties that were not present in the RCA version; the low brass and percussion are particularly impressive as are the rich strings. Levine's interpretation is somewhat cooler this time but is very sensitive to many details and dynamic markings. You might think the level of energy and passion has damped out this time, but it doesn't; the Finale is just as powerful as before with terrific hammer blows and once again the brass section shines here.

I hope BSO will release it in SACD format. I think it really deserves such a treat.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »
I gave a second listening last night and I liked it even better than the first time around.

Make no mistake, this one is as powerful and rocking as Levine's first one at go with LSO. His overall view of this symphony has changed very little except that now he sees it necessary to place the Andante second (which, IMO, is a mistake musically) and he reinstores the third hammer blow in the Finale. The orchestra sounds rich and beautiful as it always has been. As I said, the low brass and timpani are very prominent throughout (a tad more so than in the RCA recording) and outstandingly played. In the Finale's development section, Levine whips his orchestra into frenzy at a really fast tempo generating plenty of drama and excitement. The Scherzo is just as good as it was before, while he tightens the Andante under 15 min. this time; no doubt he felt it was necessary placing the Andante second.

All in all, an excellent M6th which deserves to be released in better sound, in SACD.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 04:59:48 AM »
Glad you liked it, John.  My understanding is that when Levine did the concerts, he switched the order from A-S for the first performance to S-A for the second.  The third performance's order was going to be determined "after both options have been weighed", according to the Boston Globe's review of the first performance.  (I don't know what it turned out to be.)

Russell

Offline Romy The Cat

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
Glad you liked it, John.  My understanding is that when Levine did the concerts, he switched the order from A-S for the first performance to S-A for the second.  The third performance's order was going to be determined "after both options have been weighed", according to the Boston Globe's review of the first performance.  (I don't know what it turned out to be.)

Yes, it is correct. The event was 3 consents with A-S first one, S-A second one and A-S the thirds one – as it shall be. I was at the second and third one there and herd the first one live. The fist and third consents were so-so but during the second on Saturday the BSO woke up from their typical sleepy incapacity and demonstrated a bit more live, color and enthusiasm. It did not last long and it did not full transferred into the 88/24 recording. The lessen formats with M6 that released shall be discarded.

The Cat

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 06:07:18 AM »
Romy, you're back! What have you been up to? You are quite cat like.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk