Author Topic: Kegel  (Read 5197 times)

Offline achri-d

Kegel
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:44 AM »
Some weeks ago I got a copy of a Mahler 1. conducted by Herbert Kegel. It is a live recording from 1981 issued on Weitblick. Any comments? Rgds.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Re: Kegel
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
It must be discouraging to post a question and to get no response!

First,  Vincent Mouret's on-line Mahler discography lists two Kegel M-1 recordings, neither of which was in 1981. The Weitblick recording (of Kegel and the Rundfunk Sinfonie Orchester Leipzig) was on May 9, 1978. There was also an Eterna recording (of Kegel and the Dresdner Philharmonie) on November 5-8, 1979.

It appears from what you say that you have the earlier one. I have the later one and have listened to it and thought the second movement somewhat different from what I recalled from others. So I listened to several other treatments--Abbado, Farberman, Guiliani, Muti, Colin Davis, and others--and found that Kegel and the Dresden were distinctly slower, more hesitant in the early part, and perhaps a bit off in the horns from time to time.

Wish I had the Weitblick issue, but so far it has escaped me.

Does this help any? At least, you have a response. 8)

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:17:25 AM »
I'd gladly reply if I knew the recordings. Very little Kegel gets around these days. I see that there's an M3 on Berlin Classics, but haven't heard that either. Philips had a very good "Carmina Burana" with him, but it's long out-of-print now. Sorry I can't with this one.

Barry

Offline chris

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
The Mahler 1 is available through Berkshire Record Outlet for $6.99 should anyone be interested.   Way better than those eBay auctions.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Is anyone able to comment on Kegel's recording of  'Das Lied von der Erde' ?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »
I've never even seen reference to one, much less heard it. It's not listed in Fulop's Mahler discography book either. I'm sure it's at least decent, but neither would I pay a ton of money for it. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply Barry.
There are two copies of the same recording currently on offer at eBay :

Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde (live rec. 1977)
Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Leipzig / Herbert Kegel
Vera Soukupova, mezzo-soprano
Reiner Goldberg, tenor
Weitblick CD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk