Author Topic: new remastering of Bernstein Sony cycle?  (Read 7829 times)

Offline sbugala

new remastering of Bernstein Sony cycle?
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »
Any info on this April release?

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bernstein/dp/B001TIQT98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236359009&sr=1-1

It would be nice if it was an Original Jacket release, but somehow, I doubt it.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: new remastering of Bernstein Sony cycle?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »
The top of the box says "Carnegie Hall Presents". But lower on the page, it lists Sony Classical as the label. Perhaps I've got this wrong, but I didn't think that ALL of Bernstein's original Columbia Mahler recordings were done in Carnegie Hall. Anyway, if it's being released by Sony Classical, then pretty much any store should be able to order it.  $70 seems reasonable, I guess.

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder if they'll be using the recent DSD remasters (used for the Japanese Sony SACD releases) for this set?

BTW, that "Carnegie Hall Presents" banner is on the Bernstein-does-Bernstein Original Jacket Collection box set as well.  I'm guessing that they've contributed some funding to Sony to issue these sets.

Russell

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:41:50 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder if they'll be using the recent DSD remasters (used for the Japanese Sony SACD releases) for this set?

BTW, that "Carnegie Hall Presents" banner is on the Bernstein-does-Bernstein Original Jacket Collection box set as well.  I'm guessing that they've contributed some funding to Sony to issue these sets.

Russell

Perhaps they did.  And although I don't know if any of them were in Carnegie Hall, I know plenty of them weren't.  I think the Mahler 3rd was recorded in Manhattan Center, and others were in Philharmonic Hall (or whatever it was called before being renamed Avery Fischer Hall.)  The Mahler 4th was done in a hotel, if I recall.  I can't rationalized the Japanese SACD prices in this economy right now, but I hope to sell some stuff on ebay to get this set if there's a decent upgrade in sound for this boxed set.  I generally dislike spending more cash on recordings I already own, but this set may be my few exceptions. 

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »
This set is currently $37.99 at Amazon with free shipping.

Aside from the Japanese SACDs (I have the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th & 9th) this remastered set is the best sounding option.

Definitely blows the older Sony box away in terms of sound quality.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
This set is currently $37.99 at Amazon with free shipping.

Aside from the Japanese SACDs (I have the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th & 9th) this remastered set is the best sounding option.

Definitely blows the older Sony box away in terms of sound quality.
The Japanese Lenny/NYPO M9th SACD has the most successful remastering of them all.

But for just $37.99 I am tempted to get the whole box set! :'( :'(

John,

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »
The Japanese Lenny/NYPO M9th SACD has the most successful remastering of them all.

( :'(

John,

I agree.  However, it set me back like $14,000...

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »

( :'(

John,

I agree.  However, it set me back like $14,000...
Yep. I paid more than the price for the whole set for the Japanese SACDs of M6+M9 (they spread over THREE discs! >:() :-[

John,

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »
I only spent "$1,400" for the Japanese SACD of M2 of this cycle, and can't tell much difference, if at all, in sound between the M2 regular CD DSD remaster in the Carnegie Hall full cycle set and the Japanese-issue SACD, which used the same DSD remastering.

The bottom line on this is why the heck didn't Sony agree to a SACD reissue of the entire cycle in the U.S. at a much more reasonable price as opposed to spending "$14,000" on separate release of the individual symphonies on Japanese import SACDs?

Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:05:09 AM »
I only spent "$1,400" for the Japanese SACD of M2 of this cycle, and can't tell much difference, if at all, in sound between the M2 regular CD DSD remaster in the Carnegie Hall full cycle set and the Japanese-issue SACD, which used the same DSD remastering.

The bottom line on this is why the heck didn't Sony agree to a SACD reissue of the entire cycle in the U.S. at a much more reasonable price as opposed to spending "$14,000" on separate release of the individual symphonies on Japanese import SACDs?

Wade
Wade,

Agreed. Other than the remarkable M9th, I too thought there isn't all that much difference. That's why I bought only the M6+M9th SACD set.

John,

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
All the more reason to buy to complete cycle for such a low price.

Hell.  Buy two.  One for the car and one for home  :)

Offline mahler09

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
I actually have this set and have for a few months now.  The price! :)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:40 AM »
Having said all that I have said, I still think that the very first CD editions that came out in the early 80s by CBS are the most 'robust' and closest to what the original LPs sounded.

The reasons?

CBS engineers didn't have any technical gimmicks through which the original tapes were to be manipulated. Also, the master tapes must have been in a pristine condition at that time.

Fortunately, I still own the M3, 4, M6-M9 CDs from this period ;).

John,

Offline mahler09

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
But, it's not a bad option for those who don't have the originals and can't find them!

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
The only thing is, I'm not happy with the sound of the original LPs  ;)

Thank God for this Carnagie set  :D

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk