Author Topic: Some of good Mahler recordings - revisits  (Read 5337 times)

Offline John Kim

Some of good Mahler recordings - revisits
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:52:13 AM »
M2 - MTT/SFSO/SFSO: a deliberate, subjective but ultimately very powerful Resurrection
M4 - Macal/CPO/Exton: the most delicate, detailed and warmly hearted M4 since Kletzki.
M6 - Rattle/CBSO/EMI: sleek and dry as typical of Rattle's Mahler, but exaggerated phrasing and dynamic contrast nicely make for it. The best Scherzo ever but it should have come before the Andante.
M7 - Leaper/Gran Canaria/Arte Nova: a most cogent M7 that is the easiest to listen, the whole symphony sounds like a single movt. tone poem.
M9 - Bertini/TMSO/Fontec: imperfect playing but Bertini's knack for structure and urgency carries his day. A shattering experience.
M10 (Carpenter ed.) - Farberman/Philharmonia Hungaraton: the first recording of the controversial Carpenter edition. But still the most exciting M10th of them all. The thick orchestration is reminiscent of Berg and Webern and you might think Mahler would have joined the Second Viennese school had he lived longer.

John,
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:54:52 AM by John Kim »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Some of good Mahler recordings - revisits
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
Really good choices John...out of those I haven't heard the Leaper M7.

I'd like to add a few that are fast becoming my all time loves:

MTT's SFSO M3, M4, M9 and DLvdE (SACD)...absolutely stunning performances...the SFSO is mind blowing.  MTT's cycle is becoming my top choice cycle...something I didn't imagine would happen.

M2 - Norrington/SRSO/Hanssler...Yeah I know, I know...but I like it!  I like no vibrato!

M9 - Macal/CPO/Exton (SACD)...a very deep, gorgeous sounding reading of the M9. 

M9 - Neumann/CPO/Exton...his last recorded M9...autumnal...atmospheric...sounds from another planet.

M9 - Rattle/BPO/EMI...still hovering near the top of my M9 lists...doesn't want to go away...the pacing knocks me out, and the strings are glorious and even transcendant...going beyond sound itself.

M4 - Haitink/RSO Live (SACD)...a garden of delights.

M7 - Haenchen/Laserlight...still persuasive and grand.

M4 - Gatti/RPO/RCA...a wow moment in every bar.

M6 - Haitink/LSO (2004 broadcast)...I still think this is the best M6 I've ever heard...at least as far as slower M6's go.

--Todd
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:44:00 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »
Todd,

Which Rattle M9th are you referring to? BPO/EMI or VPO/EMI?

I second,

Haitink/RCO/RCO, MTT/SFSO/SFSO M4, Neumann/CPO/Exton M9, and Haitink/LSO M6 (broadcast). They are "jewels" of Mahler performances indeed.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
Ooops...Rattle/BPO/EMI  :)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »
As much as I admire the Rattle I am still not fully satisfied with the sound quality. I want more bass, wider dynamic range, and higher end. Perhaps EMI may consider issuing it in DVD-A format as they did for Rattle's M10th with BPO.

Todd, have you ordered a "High Definition CD" version of the same recording available in Japan?

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
As much as I admire the Rattle I am still not fully satisfied with the sound quality. I want more bass, wider dynamic range, and higher end. Perhaps EMI may consider issuing it in DVD-A format as they did for Rattle's M10th with BPO.

Todd, have you ordered a "High definition CD" version of the same recording available in Japan?

John,

Actually, I have ordered the "high quality" limited edition of this release from Japan!  Should be arriving in near future  :)

The sound clips on HMV Japan (for the high quality edition) has the bass in beautiful detail...those clips all ready sound better than the CD.

--Todd
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:56:04 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »
Todd,

Good for you!! :D

PL let us know when you get to try the Japanese Rattle M9th.

I was very impressed with Japanese pressing (SHM-CD) of Lenny's Mahler cycle on DG. They have better bass and more focused body with an increased dynamic range. The Rattle should sound just as good, I hope.

Regards,

John,

Offline techniquest

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »
I'm not listening to as much Mahler this year as I did last, but at the moment my fave recordings are:
M2: Segerstam / Danish Radio SO / Chandos
M3: Zander / Philharmonia / Telarc (yes, despite the near silent posthorn). Rattle / EMI is a close second.
M5: Morris / Symphonica of London / IMP
M8: Wit / Warsaw National Philharmonic, etc / Naxos (also enjoying the new Gergiev / LSO recording - never thought I'd say that!)

Recordings I've gone off a tad...
M8: Nagano / Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, etc / Harmonia Mundi
M2: Caetani / Robert Schumann Philharmonie, etc / ARTS Audiophile (though I still think the closing section of the finale is the best ever).

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »
Techniquest..I also really love the Zander M3.  As a matter of fact, you reminded me to check this out again...it's been too long.

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk