Author Topic: Soundtrack Music....by Mahler  (Read 6227 times)

Mackjay

Soundtrack Music....by Mahler
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
The other day I started to watch a Hungarian film and had a huge surprise.

The film is Aap (Father) 1966, directed by István Szabó
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060116/

The very first thing you hear is M1.III, the minor-key "Frère Jacques". I was pleased to note that the film uses quite a bit of the movement, including the first, klezmer-like "trio" section. Since the opening sequences depict a young Hungarian boy's school days in 1948 I figured the intent might be to set the tone by hearing the nursery rhyme song in this darker version. The "Frère Jacques" tune returns later, in it's normal major mode. It's always a nice surprise to hear Mahler when you don't expect him  ;)

Szabó went on to direct the highly successful trilogy of films, MEPHISTO, COLONEL REDL, & HANUSSEN, among others.

An interesting film, worth checking out.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Soundtrack Music....by Mahler
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:26:01 AM »
I don't know that film, but Istvan Szabo made a fabulous film on the tragic life of an Austrian Army colonel named Alfred Redl (Oberst Redl). The story takes place just before the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (and hence, before the start of WWI). It start Klaus Maria Brandauer and Werner Muller-Stahl. I simply can't recommend that movie too highly.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:37:33 PM by barry guerrero »

Mackjay

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »
I don't know that film, but Istvan Szabo made a fabulous film on the tragic life of an Austrian Army colonel named Alfred Redl (Obert Redl). The story takes place just before the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (and hence, before the start of WWI). It start Klaus Maria Brandauer and Werner Muller-Stahl. I simply can't recommend that movie too highly.

Barry

Yes, that's aka COLONEL REDL. An excellent film and likely Szabó's best. I've seen it several times. No Mahler in it, but "nobody's perfect"  ;D

Offline Toblacher

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
Another film using the M1 extensively was "The Gambler", circa 1975, starring James "Santino" Caan.  He even "sings-along" with the 2nd movement at one point.

Mackjay

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
Another film using the M1 extensively was "The Gambler", circa 1975, starring James "Santino" Caan.  He even "sings-along" with the 2nd movement at one point.

:D I was trying to remember how M1 was used in that film. Thanks for the reminder.

Another case where I'd not expect to hear any Mahler is THE VELVET GOLDMINE. It seems to come out of nowhere in this very rock-oriented movie. Take a look at the soundtrack listing from IMDb, it's actually amusing to see M6 amid all those pop titles  :o:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120879/soundtrack

Offline Damfino

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »
About 10 years ago, i saw a terrible pretentious action film starring Micky Rourke called Year of the Dragon. At some point in the film, Rourke's wife gets killed, and there is a scene in which there is a wake or a viewing, and in the background can be heard the hushed choruses of Mahler's 2nd singing "Auferstehen, ja auferstehen". I guess I remember it so well because the brief cameo by Mahler's music provided the only enjoyment in the film for me.

However, the use of the music in the movie was just another pretentious moment in a laughable movie.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
About 10 years ago, i saw a terrible pretentious action film starring Micky Rourke called Year of the Dragon. At some point in the film, Rourke's wife gets killed, and there is a scene in which there is a wake or a viewing, and in the background can be heard the hushed choruses of Mahler's 2nd singing "Auferstehen, ja auferstehen". I guess I remember it so well because the brief cameo by Mahler's music provided the only enjoyment in the film for me.

However, the use of the music in the movie was just another pretentious moment in a laughable movie.
I remember the movie and the scene and do recall hearing Mahler's Resurrection.

I enjoyed the film much more than you did. I thought it was very well done with impressive visuals, although the story line and materials sometimes got over the top. After all, it was directed by Michael Cimino who directed the unforgettable Vietnam War drama 'The Deer Hunter'.

John,

Offline Damfino

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
Year of the Dragon is one of those films that made some people's "Best" list while also making some people's "Worst" list.  Cimino also made Heaven's Gate, one of the most famous flops of all time, which almost bankrupted United Artists.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk