Author Topic: CT Review of Gergiev/LSO M8  (Read 12086 times)

Offline Russ Smiley

CT Review of Gergiev/LSO M8
« on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:34 AM »
Though one might enjoy the recording more than his score might indicate, Victor Carr's review (http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12252) seems fair.  However, he raised the issue of accent and native language that is a lingering puzzle for me.  Carr wrote "...Semishkur's Blicket auf is so heavily accented it's nearly unintelligible. Likewise baritone Alexey Markov's rich tone almost distracts from his less than authentic pronunciation."  Because I don't speak any German, I wasn't put off by the Gergiev's Slavic soloists  (though if I had I heard West Side Story sung with a pronounced London accent instead of something from NYC, I might wrinkle an eyebrow).  For me the soloists are like instruments in the orchestra: I don't speak "flute" but I know I like a clear sounding flute and not a breathy, wobbling one: I basically feel the same about tenors and sopranos whether they are dealing with texts in German, Russian, Swedish, or Swahili. Claiming no skill in any other language except "American" English, I wonder, are others as blissfully ignorant of the language infractions that are being committed in recordings like this one?
Russ Smiley

Offline barry guerrero

Re: CT Review of Gergiev/LSO M8
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:31:40 AM »
I know that it has a lot of faults, but what Mahler 8 doesn't?  Solti, I suppose, and I find that one to be brittle sounding - loud, in general -  and with very little dynamic range. I would be more inclined to give the Gergiev a 9/8. 8/7 certainly isn't a "bad" review, though.

Barry

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
In most instances (esp. M4), even in most of M8 I wouldn't notice if the words were mis-accented.  But "Blicket Auf" is the definite exception.  There I listen to the words and the music as distinct entities.  That said I haven't heard the Gergiev recording -- it hasn't appeard at J&R yet -- but I look forward to it.

db

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
Because I don't speak any German, I wasn't put off by the Gergiev's Slavic soloists (though if I had I heard West Side Story sung with a pronounced London accent instead of something from NYC, I might wrinkle an eyebrow).  For me the soloists are like instruments in the orchestra: I don't speak "flute" but I know I like a clear sounding flute and not a breathy, wobbling one: I basically feel the same about tenors and sopranos whether they are dealing with texts in German, Russian, Swedish, or Swahili. Claiming no skill in any other language except "American" English, I wonder, are others as blissfully ignorant of the language infractions that are being committed in recordings like this one?

That pretty much sums up how I feel about voices, and especially pronunciation, in most Mahler symphony performances.  Perhaps this is one of the big advantages to being the average blissfully ignorant American (in terms of foreign language ability that is). 

For my money, this is a solid 10/10 recording in multi-channel SACD.  There are always a few things that I dislike in ANY Mahler performance, but the Gergiev gets overall good ratings from me across the board: it is a very good combination of orchestral playing and execution, flexible conducting, lots of details, very good solo singing, a FABULOUS ending, and great multi-channel sound.  Frankly, this is probably my top recommendation to a non-Mahlerian that wants to know about M8.   All of my other favorites - save perhaps the Lennie M8 DVD, have something that would make me think twice about recommending it to a newbie.  And even the Lennie DVD does not have particularly good sound. 

So off the top of my head, these things bother me about my top tier M8's: 

Chailly (slow tempi at the beginning is underwhelming -- although it pays dividends later; I'm not a big fan of the Gretchen soprano)
Sinopoli (some truly dragging tempi throughout Part I)
Nagano (Gretchen soprano is awful)
Bertini (I don't particularly enjoy some of the soloists voices -- although none are less than decent)
Solti (ending lacks excitement -- although has lots of toy organ)
Scott

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
So off the top of my head, these things bother me about my top tier M8's: 

Chailly (slow tempi at the beginning is underwhelming -- although it pays dividends later; I'm not a big fan of the Gretchen soprano)
Sinopoli (some truly dragging tempi throughout Part I)
Nagano (Gretchen soprano is awful)
Bertini (I don't particularly enjoy some of the soloists voices -- although none are less than decent)
Solti (ending lacks excitement -- although has lots of toy organ)

I think the organ in Solti's recording was the Hammond electronic one. It sounds almost the same in the 70's rock recordings that featured the Hammond.
I may be wrong...........
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline Damfino

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
Posted by sperlsco: Frankly, this is probably my top recommendation to a non-Mahlerian that wants to know about M8.

I will probably have to get this. I am not a non-Mahlerian, but I am a bit of a non-Mahler-8-ian. Maybe this will be the breakthrough recording for me.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 02:34:37 AM »
Posted by sperlsco: Frankly, this is probably my top recommendation to a non-Mahlerian that wants to know about M8.

I will probably have to get this. I am not a non-Mahlerian, but I am a bit of a non-Mahler-8-ian. Maybe this will be the breakthrough recording for me.

I've struggled to warm to M8, also.  After trying over many years to warm to M8 via Tennstedt, Jarvi, Shaw, and Chailly (and sampling Solti and some others along the way), it was the Bertini M8 that won me over, followed then by the Wit recording, and now the Gergiev.  (I recently revisited the Tennstedt (original mastering), and though slightly more appreciative of it now, I gave it up to a musically-inclined family member to expand her collection.)  I'm not trying to oversell the Gergiev, just confirm that there are/were other non-Mahler-8-ians about.
Russ Smiley

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »
The Rattle M8 is becoming my M8 eureka recording...I'm still warming up though.  Other recordings make me love this piece as well, such as the new Boulez, the Bertini, Maazel, and the Inbal...oops, can't forget Horenstein, which is frankly amazing...so yeah, I'm almost there.

For years I only heard the M8 through the Solti, and I think this recording put me off M8...sadly  :'(

--Todd
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:28:06 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 12:22:30 AM »
The Rattle M8 sounds quite good on the DVD (audio only) pressing. It has some pretty good vocals too.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 03:23:37 AM »
The Rattle M8 sounds quite good on the DVD (audio only) pressing. It has some pretty good vocals too.

Barry

Yes I agree...I love the DVD-A release of the Rattle much better than CD...it is glorious!!!  A nice plus is watching the lyrics on the screen while it plays.

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »
Okay, I was able to sample the first movement of the Gergiev M8 before work this afternoon and I AM FLABBERGASTED...wow!  What a powerful M8 and wonderfully recorded M8!  As I lover of echo and reverb, I was simply in heaven...but the great thing is are the details that still shine through (like the Antoni Wit acccount on Naxos)...can't wait to listen to more.

Offline LoraHup

• Ëþäè õóæå, ÷åì ìû î íèõ äóìàåì
CT Review of Gergiev/L
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 05:02:28 AM »
Hey Saurian spelled the right way?,

Thanks for the review Was very smooth to read and you covered various aspects of the DVD which was really informative
Thanks for the effort you put in there andi guess its pretty obvious that every metal drummer just needs that DVD

cheers
Ëþäè õóæå, ÷åì ìû î íèõ äóìàåì

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »
I'm in the midst of the Part II right now in the Gergiev M8...and I'm so taken by the performance and production I don't know what to say here...the pace has such a beautiful flow too...

Certainly among the CROWN JEWELS of my collection.

--Todd

Offline LoraHup

• Ëþäè õóæå, ÷åì ìû î íèõ äóìàåì
CT Review of Gergiev/L
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 08:48:28 AM »
Thanks Saurian and everyone,great review...
i wish i had a little bit more time on the DVD but as you already noticed i was really out of time,so i wanted to show as much as possible on this one.The next one will be more focused on certain things,more analysis and more exercises.I cant wait actually,if you liked this one the next one will blow your brains out
Promise
Ëþäè õóæå, ÷åì ìû î íèõ äóìàåì

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
The feeling of hearing this recording is much like floating in space and hearing the instruments swim by enchanting the air and surrounding you with masses of voices...women, men and children, and sometimes they sound as if they are massed in another dimenson and thier voices are a mere memory or shadow, and suddenly they surround the listener once again...it really is a great experience.  For my taste this is the first Mahler 8 recording to really sound as if the universe is surrounding the listener in all it's glory.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk