Author Topic: Ozawa is back: fine new M1 w/ Saito Kinen Orch.  (Read 9088 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Ozawa is back: fine new M1 w/ Saito Kinen Orch.
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:43:28 AM »
Looks like Ozawa is back, turning in a truly fine and exciting Mahler 1 with his Saito Kinen Orchestra. A friend of mine burnt me a copy, so I'm not sure what label this is on. I assume it's either Exton, or Japanese Sony. When I'm at a real p.c., I'll post a link from HMV Japan. Anyway, the playing is great, and so is the sound quality. It's a very good, straight forward performance. The scherzo has lots of swing and lilt to it, and the East Europen village band passages in the slow movement are excellent - about as convincingly done as I've heard them. The finale is quite exciting, as to be expected, but with plenty of bass drum/timpani rolls underpinning the final few bars.

The timpani playing, in particular, really stands out. I assume that it's Vic Firth of the Boston Symphony on the first part (there are two timpani parts in M1). Regardless, they do an outstanding job. By the way, the opening of the slow movement is played by a solo double bass, not soli. I'm beginning to prefer it played soli, but it's not a deal breaker for me either way. FYI.

Barry 

Offline mahlerei

Re: Ozawa is back: fine new M1 w/ Saito Kinen Orch.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
Thanks, Barry, that sounds very promising. I've never understood why Ozawa gets such a bad press here in the UK - as does Mehta - because he has produced some good records. My brother, also a Mahler man, maintains that an Ozawa performance of M2 in London (early 1980s) is still the finest he's ever heard.

Don't know this Japanese band but I recently acquired their Concerto for Orchestra (with Ozawa). Hope to audition it soon

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
Ozawa and the Saito Kinen perform a very powerful M9 in a fairly recent release (can't remember the label at the moment), even though the playing is not as pristine as the BSO the Saito are impressive.  This M9 is very memorable and is among my "special occasion" recordings.

Thanks for the heads up on this M1 Barry!

--Todd

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »
Todd

The Ozawa M9 seems to be a Sony release. I see Amazon UK are taking pre-orders for an Ozawa Mahler box (14 CDs). I have been tempted to buy his M2; anyone heard it?

Dan

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
Todd

The Ozawa M9 seems to be a Sony release. I see Amazon UK are taking pre-orders for an Ozawa Mahler box (14 CDs). I have been tempted to buy his M2; anyone heard it?

Dan

The Saito Kainen M2 is very good.  I'm not sure that amazon.uk page is a preorder as it was issued in 2002, maybe it just signifies OOP.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
Gentlemen,

Let's admit it plain and simple.

Ozawa's Mahler cycle from Boston is something that he and the Bostonians should be very proud of (I heard Mr. Ozawa is :D). The M1, M3, M7, M9, M10 Adagio in the set were all top notch recordings. And the remainder of the cycle weren't bad at all (I particularly like the M2 very much). I was at some of the concerts in Boston at the time of the recordings and can therefore attest the excellence of the performances.

Ozawa's earlier M1 on DG and later M2 and M9 on Sony are at least equal or better than the ones on Philips. But the point is, he is a very fine Mahler conductor wherever and whenever he conducts the symphonies.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:51:14 PM »
I'll betcha that this Ozawa M1 is from this performance on DVD in Japan:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3570516

It's also on Blu-ray Disc there, but at over 7100 yen, I think I'll pass....

Russell

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Looks like Ozawa is back, turning in a truly fine and exciting Mahler 1 with his Saito Kinen Orchestra.

This performance from 2008 was broadcast on NHK's international TV channel back in April.  Here's what I posted at the M-List on April 19th:

"On the whole, an excellent performance, very well played. Ozawa conducted
without a score.

Brisk tempos throughout (perhaps a bit too brisk for me in the opening
movement).  The woodwind parts during the long 'pedal point' opening
seemed too loud/forward.  Don't know if that had to do with miking.  Off
stage trumpets were fine and I could see three of them taking their seats
on stage later in the first movement.

The only real weak spot was a tentative/not-quite-together entrance of the
strings at the beginning of the 'Lindenbaum' episode in the 3rd movement.

The Finale was the best part of this performance, very taut, well-
structured with smooth transitions and no feeling of 'episodic-ness'.  And
yes, the horns did stand at the end!"

I saw this Ozawa performance for sale in both CD and DVD formats yesterday at Tower Records here in Tokyo, but didn't bother to check the label.  I was actually looking for Wakasugi's recording of M1, but to my surprise I could not find a single Wakasugi Mahler recording in the whole store.

On another issue raised by Barry recently, there is no justification for the opening of the 3rd movement being played by the entire double bass section.  This could be a disturbing new trend as it appears that Gergiev does this in his new recording (which I heard on the JAL flight from Honolulu to Tokyo).  Mahler only authorised a solo double bass, and all contemporary reviews of the published score and performances during Mahler's lifetime consistently refer to a single double bass.  This is some kind of red herring which has been condemned by Prof. de La Grange among others.

Mike Bosworth

Offline akiralx

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »

Ozawa's earlier M1 on DG and later M2 and M9 on Sony are at least equal or better than the ones on Philips. But the point is, he is a very fine Mahler conductor wherever and whenever he conducts the symphonies.

John,

I think the DG M1 and Philips M5 are the only ones still available. I know the M1 (including Blumine) gets good reviews and I may get it soon - is the M5 also good?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:42 PM »
I've had to order Ozawa's Phillips recordings from sellers on Amazon...if patient one can find a decent price. 

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »

John,

I think the DG M1 and Philips M5 are the only ones still available. I know the M1 (including Blumine) gets good reviews and I may get it soon - is the M5 also good?
Yes, Ozawa's M5 pretty darn good. I quite like it. The only quibble I can take is, although he gets everything right - tempo, balancing, dynamics - the performance overall is somewhat too lean and streamlined. But it's a live concert and hence is more emotionally charged than the M2.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
I fact, the only entry in the Ozawa/Philips set I don't like is the M8th. It's very well done but the recording quality is way below the standard of today and even of time of the recording. I hope he will redo it with SKO someday.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 04:55:50 AM »
"I hope he will redo it (M8) with SKO someday"

I was thinking the same thing. But if so, I hope they find a hall that has stronger organ than the one in Suntory Hall. Also, it would be extremely difficult to piece together a cast that would be as strong as the one that's on Ozawa's Philips recording. Maybe we should just be happy with the Inbal M8 (and don't forget, MTT/SFSO is just around the corner).

Barry

Offline nickmolland

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
Incidentally, there is a very enjoyable Ozawa/BSO M3 from Paris 1998 up on Dime still for those interested. If anyone who can't get onto Dime would like a copy, let me know!

Cheers

Nick

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
I'm not surprised that it's enjoyable. His Boston M3 is fabulous - hugely underrated.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk